cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble to install the ST link USB driver, it is not installed in the device manager. Jumper JP7 is set to STLK, LD6 is blinking red, LD5 is off?

INürn.1
Associate II

4 REPLIES 4
Adam BERLINGER
ST Employee

Dear @Ingo Nürnberger​ ,

I think the ST-Link drivers should be installed during STM32CubeIDE installation. If not, maybe standalone installation might help: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-utilities/stsw-link009.html

The LD6 blinking red indicates, that the ST-Link is waiting for enumeration from PC.

If this doesn't help, could you please share some screenshot of the device properties/driver in the Windows?

Just side note, the STLK jumper position activates the power for rest of the board after ST-Link is enumerated. If you switch to CHGR position, the power should be applied immediately from the same USB connector.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Adam Berlinger

INürn.1
Associate II

Hello Adam,

attached the device manager screenshot. I tried to install the driver maually, but same issue. OS is Win7 64 Bit. I can try to install on Win10 at home this weekend. With changing to CHGR the board seems to be powered on, but same issue with ST-Link. There was an older CubeMX version installed, I can try to uninstall everthing and reinstall. No problem, I can still follow the workshop without using the hardware, we can check later or the next days.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards,

IN

INürn.1
Associate II

Hi Adam,

seems to work now, I changed to a 15cm USB cable.

Now the board is powered and the display is running the demo :)

Best regards,

IN

Adam BERLINGER
ST Employee

Good to hear.

It seems the ST-Link V3 doesn't support USB1.1 only ports (not supporting USB2.0/high-speed), but I think you can't find such port even on older PCs. However some USB hubs could be still USB1.1.

Regular length (1-2m) cables should work ok with boards, as those are used regularly. Not sure if there can be some issue with 5m cable (maximum length for USB). Also some cables (e.g. intended for chargers) might be missing data lines.