cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4-Discovery Lowest Possible Power?

shawn2
Associate II
Posted on November 03, 2015 at 20:44

I am fully aware of the SM32F407's low-power capabilities.  What I was wondering is what are the EVAL kit's low-power capabilities?  It seems no matter which mode the MCU is in, I'm forced into drawing ~40mA.  It's be nice if I could shut down, jump, (de)solder, something on the Eval kit to get the draw down to ~1mA in standby.  Yes, I know that pwr_led is pretty much hardwired direct to 3V, so no matter what I'll be drawing 3mA unless there's something I'm missing.

Anyone have any tricks?

#powerconsumption #discovery
2 REPLIES 2
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on November 04, 2015 at 10:38

Hi eclipsePhage,

I suggest you to start from the PWR_CurrentConsumption example under STM32cubeF4 package: 

STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.9.0\Projects\STM32F4Discovery\Examples\PWR\PWR_CurrentConsumption

The example shows how to configure the STM32F4xx system to measure different Low Power modes current consumption.

All steps that user should follow to measure the IDD current are detailed in the readme file attached to the project folder.

-Syrine –

shawn2
Associate II
Posted on November 04, 2015 at 19:38

Yes, IDD is fine.  I've used those examples in the past, however, that does not lower the actual power to the dev. board, only the MCU.  The only way around that, currently, is simply powering VDD directly and removing JP1.  Even then, in STDBY, I'm still pulling 1.5mA.

It'd be ideal if I could power from the 5V rail, shut everything down that I need to, and get below 1mA.