cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLED316S

punmack
Associate II
Posted on April 10, 2013 at 00:55

I would like some clear instructionsthat inform me how to communicate with the STLED316S.

I have the STEVAL-ICB003V board,viewing the communications on a logic analyzer, and attempting toduplicate the setup does not work.

I am connected to the STLED316S with auC, can get only DIG1_LED to illuminate.

It there is someone at ST that knowshow to point to a memory location and write control values, please doshare.

An example that tells how to set theSTB line low while pointing to a memory location + page file would beuseful.

Example, write to STLED316S to setnumber of digits, then set to send series of values to each digit fordisplay.

In addition, I am using 3.3V for theserial communications, I am powering the STLED316S with 5V, andpulling DIN/DOUT up with 3.3V. Is this the proper method?

16 REPLIES 16
punmack
Associate II
punmack
Associate II
Posted on April 11, 2013 at 15:10

Here is the 3rd time I have attached the screenshot.png

Attachments :

screenshot.png : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006HzoK&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bQX%2F2RYyIe12.s7Mtoh5glynesYYHtbNvfIp0fhfT9ea41E&asPdf=false
dthedens23
Associate II
Posted on April 11, 2013 at 17:41

I can see the attachement.  I still question the 0xB1.  The SPI module can be configured to send LSB or MSB first by setting/clearing SPI_CR1:LSBFIRST.  

punmack
Associate II
Posted on April 12, 2013 at 19:37

Where did you find this wisdom?

My datasheet (Jan 2008 Rev 1) has no mention of either of the two commands you mention (LSBFIRST) nor any address register bit info.

I can write the name of my ST sales person on the display, but I do not know why 🙂

I can not see the attachment I posted, what is the trick?

Posted on April 12, 2013 at 20:00

Got to go to view attachments/properties. Or hard link from your post.

https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/STM32Discovery/Attachments/5615/screenshot.png

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
punmack
Associate II
Posted on April 12, 2013 at 22:18

OK, go to jump through some hoops to get places, like attachments. 

Seems to me that the questions that I need answers to, like the first question from my last e-mail get ignored.  That is, where did you find the MSB/LSB first information?  I am thinking that ST forgot to post application information that tells one how to point-to and write the control registers.   

Either it is a secret how to control this device, or I am dumb as a rock. 

Could be both I guess??

punmack
Associate II
Posted on April 14, 2013 at 02:44

Forgive me for I am in the wrong aria, but there is no forum for the part I am attempting to design with.  Ignore my last question, now I know that the MSB/LSB reference is the STM32 register setting, and not the communication protocol outlined in the STLED316S.

I will check back on 4-14-2013, if anyone at ST has some working experience please step forward. 

Again, to be as clear as possible, I am communicating with the STLED316S, and what it is responding the way it does is a mystery.  I need clear instructions how to control the device.  Such as how to point to a register address and preform a meaningful write in order to set control parameters the write commands.

Making clever remarks, and not having practical experience with the STLED316S, does not advance my design.  Rather, I look to making my own LED driver with p-chan. MOSFET and an 8-bit shift register instead.  Takes less time, and now that I have priced the parts, may cost less!  Then, I am the boss 🙂