Did you mean: 

Standard Periph Library vs HAL

SoHaeng.Lee
Associate II
Posted on January 26, 2016 at 11:29

Hi everybody.

I confuse.

I just begun study STM32 series.

In a month, i studied hard STM32F3, F4 and i used Standard Perish Library.

But, when i used STM32CubeMX, this application creat HAL base projects.

what is better selection?
11 REPLIES 11
Posted on January 26, 2016 at 18:54

This is my opinion

And that's fine, multiple opinions can exist and be valid, this stuff isn't black and white.

I can put my black hat on when I need too, I've designed silicon chips, I understand how this stuff works at a gate level, and I don't have a need to micro-manage stuff at this level, it is brutal and unnecessary, and I can get efficiency where I need it using mechanical advantage, good algorithms and choices. I read the manuals, I understand the hardware, I can debug my own code.

I respect the code and methods that Jan uses, but I, personally, don't need to get lost in the minutia of a specific part from a specific vendor. My horizons are a lot broader than that, and understanding of the problems deeper than most people probably appreciate. I could be a big troll, but I choose not to be.

My problem is a lot of the other people using register level coding are useless at it, and think a load/store shit storm is more efficient than calling a subroutine and using processor registers effectively.

>> and can take hours to get right and debug. >Eh?

Yeah, I'm not internalizing, but observing respondents here dicking with stuff for days/weeks and not being able to debug there way out themselves. ''They chose poorly'' to paraphrase the words of the Knight.

Transferability comes down to handing it off to someone with a equivalent skills/ability, sure that's easy, problem is most stuff gets dumped on the team member with the least ability or experience, and then clarity wins over obfuscation.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Radosław
Senior
Posted on January 26, 2016 at 19:08

You forgot one thing,  Any problems mentioned by you and posting on meny forums concerns libraries SPLa  HAL.

For using libraries you must learn 2 things, architecture od MCU and libraries.

With my colleagues we discuse this problem many times, and all heva same opinion as I have..

Hal SPL is good for start, as examples, for seminars etc.

Several of my colleagues programing now in C++11. 

In  internet we can find meny tutorials how to program without libraries, so this isn't difficult to learn. Probably, will take this same time. But MCU are for electronics, not PC programist.