cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Spot Fake STM32 MCU.

APatr.1
Associate

I recently got trouble after my STM32F103CB (128KB/20KB) started to misbehave.

I ask few guys but seems no answer.

Is there any way one can detect loosely cloned STM32 MCU?​

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Faked STM32, with a marking STM32F, do not come out of nowhere. If they have any functionality at all, they are relabeled clones. These clones all have a newer CortexM core. Read the core revision in the AP IDR register.

/* Test for non-genuine parts with Core rev 2*/

if ((ap->idr >> 28) > 1) {

t->driver = "STM32F1 (clone) medium density";

DEBUG_WARN("Non-genuine STM32F1\n");

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Perhaps buy from reputable sources, who will warrant there authenticity, or provide proof of provenance / traceability.

Can you inspect and X-ray inbound stock?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
TDK
Guru

Not reliably, or with 100% certainty. A bad one perhaps by poor quality silkscreen, or markings that don't match the datasheet. UID, flash size, and similar registers can also provide insight.

If you bought an F103 from a sketchy source at a significant discount, it's probably fake.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Faked STM32, with a marking STM32F, do not come out of nowhere. If they have any functionality at all, they are relabeled clones. These clones all have a newer CortexM core. Read the core revision in the AP IDR register.

/* Test for non-genuine parts with Core rev 2*/

if ((ap->idr >> 28) > 1) {

t->driver = "STM32F1 (clone) medium density";

DEBUG_WARN("Non-genuine STM32F1\n");

BODYPRINT
Associate

Hey guys,

I didn't want to create another Fake thread so I hope you don't mind me hijacking this one.

I bought these 6 x STM32F105RBT6 off of ebay..

The add said "Genuine 100%". Probably my first mistake.

Looking at the printing I'm thinking they are fake and would rather not solder them to the boards at this point.

I thought I'd get you guys with more experience to have a look and tell me if you think these are fake as well thanks.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

0693W00000JQ8raQAD.jpg0693W00000JQ8mkQAD.jpg0693W00000JQ8mfQAD.jpg0693W00000JQ8mVQAT.jpg0693W00000JQ8lsQAD.jpg0693W00000JQ8m6QAD.jpg0693W00000JQ8lwQAD.jpg

Hi Uwe,

this code can runs in the uC or it is a code used "by" SWD device?

Thanks.