cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External debugger NUCLEO-H743ZI2

Manu Gr
Associate

The goal: Debug the NUCLEO-H743ZI2 with Tracealyzer.

To do it I have to connect the board with my computer via jlink. I found the tool STLinkReflash, that can emulates the jlink in the stlink. The problem I found is that it does not work for the stlink V3.

On the other hand, I have another nucleo board, NUCLEO-L746RG that has stlink V2-1, with which I got success emulating the Jlink and debugging with Tracealyzer.

I am trying to connect the STlink that is in the NUCLEO-L746RG with my development board NUCLEO-H743ZI2, but I do not get success.
I also tried to connect a comercial STlink V2 device with the NUCLEO-H743ZI2, just connecting the jumper JP1 and connecting the STlink to the CN5, but I get these errors: "Error: target voltage may be too low for reliable debugging" "Error: init mode failed (unable to connect to the target)".

Please, could you show me how do I have to do the connection to debug the nucleo H743ZI2 with an external tool?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @Manu Gr,

Supported ST-Link versions are detailed here: ST-LINK On-Board (segger.com)

I suggest checking connections to the Nucleo H743. Try connecting under reset also to CubeProgrammer using SWD.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Are you sure that tracealyzer cannot use ST-LINK? Their documentation suggests that they need ITM trace, and ST-LINK supports it. ST-LINKv3 should  yield good performance. 

Manu Gr
Associate

Thanks for your answer.

I found a tutorial where they debug the Nucleo-H743 with the STLink. They use tracealyzer as plugin of STM32Cube. The problem for me is that I don't use STM32Cube, I use VSCode with PlatformIO and then I have to configurate manually the following fields:

• Target Speed: I guess the system clock. Is that right?
  • Prescaler: I don't know what to set.
  • TPIO/SWO Base: I don't know what to set.
  • ITM Channel: The one that I configure in trcStreamPortConfig. But I don't know if I have to configurate something else.

Programming and the basic debugger in platformIO work for me, so the connections are not the problem. But now I am interested in using some more powerful tools for debugging.

Additional information: I am not using HAL libraries, just CMSIS.