er2
Associate III
Posted on April 12, 2008 at 09:35

CAN and USB together?

12 REPLIES 12
flyer31
Senior
Posted on December 07, 2012 at 12:04

But then you should update the ref manual 0090 - there in CAN chapter 24.2 (Nov. 2012 version, STM32F4) I find the note:

''Note: In low, medium-, high- and XL-density devices the USB and CAN share a dedicated 512-byte SRAM memory for data transmission and reception, and so they cannot be used

concurrently (the shared SRAM is accessed through CAN and USB exclusively). The USB

and CAN can be used in the same application but not at the same time.''

Exactly the same note is also in the STM32F2 ref manual in the CAN chapter.

... I just tested it - it really seems to work without problems (at least USB-FS with Loopback CAN example, STM32F407).... . Very reliefing - I got a half heart attack when I read this note this morning in the new STM32F4 Ref Manual ... so it is just some copy+paste feature :)?

Nickname12657_O
Associate III
Posted on December 07, 2012 at 14:09

Hi Bil,

Yes, we acknowledge that this is a typo in our RM0090 and RM0033.

It will be fixed in next RMs releases.

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Cheers,

ST-One32.

flyer31
Senior
Posted on December 08, 2012 at 12:59

Also in the registers in the new PDF (RM0090, V3, CAN-chapter 24.9.2-4) each register should have a separate entry in the Adobe contents tab on the left side ... (as all other registers have it, and as it was also the case in the old RM0090 for CAN). This somehow fell out for the new CAN chapter.

[I am not sure if it is a good idea to change the reference manual so much that you exchange complete chapters or do too strong changes at the complete document structure. I think it would be more wise to do only some editorial changes of the errors ... . But this is of course your decision.]