Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Developement Platform for Startup

george239955
Associate
Posted on February 13, 2013 at 00:04

Hi All,

We are a new startup and have a proof-of-concept device going on a STM32 being coded in the Keil IDE. However, we are using their evaluation copy which only permits 32KB max program size and we have surpassed that. Previous to using Keil, we tried YARGATO and we were able to compile but when we loaded executable from Keil we were able to get it to work but not the case with YARGATO so we stuck with Keil. Well now we have outgrown it unless we buy a license which is out of our price range at the moment.

What is everyone using to develop? Is there something free/open that we can use? We will soon be deving on the STM32W line and will be incorporating the SimpleMAC library. We would require that it be possible to use this library with a different toolchain. We would prefer an environment where we do not have to create our own startup code and low-level/assembly routines. 

Any recommendations? 

(P.S. We don't care if it runs on Windows, Linux, or Mac, but if we could choose we would go with Mac)

Thanks in Advance, 🙂

George

#keil
13 REPLIES 13
bluewaters213
Associate III
Posted on February 15, 2013 at 22:41

I am currently using CooCox CoIDE (

http://www.coocox.org/CooCox_CoIDE.htm

). It is Completely free and have a fairly decent debugger.

Martin.Sergio
Associate III
Posted on March 19, 2013 at 10:47

Hello,

I used a

free

development environment

for microcontrollers

STM32F103

and

STM32F107

based on

Eclipse

CodeSourcery

compiler

and

OpenOCD

now I'm

trying to

use it to

STM32W

family

microprocessors

specifically

for

evaluation boards

MB851

Everything

works well for

programs that use

only the

STM32W108xx_StdPeriph_Lib_V1.0.1

But I can not

make it work with

the library

SimpleMAC

Best Regards,

Sergio 

dthedens23
Associate II
Posted on March 19, 2013 at 17:15

I just tried the ChibiStudio.  Standard Eclipse GCC (4.6, although one could add 4.7).  It will work with STLink if you grab the debugger parts from Attolic or it works with OpenOCD.

Comes with a RTOS and samples as well.

you could always run Parallels or VMWare on the MAC, but a simple quad core I5 system is under $500 these days.