cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A lot of unanswered and unsolved questions

LMI2
Lead

The quality of this forum is low. Look at all the unsanwered posts (0 answers). Also sorting does not work. And this forum works differently than all the others.

13 REPLIES 13

>> Lack of necessity today does have its drawbacks.

The designers of the ARM noted their boss gave them no money and no people, and he still laughs about it today. And that well describes the 1980's UK I lived in.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
S.Ma
Principal

All is about how to speed up the learning curve. 10000 hours to be "proficient" seems long, except for internet hobby activities? People learn faster with a setup designed for this purpose AND allow some degree of freedom to build something fun or useful. Still looking for such catalyst setup.

Instead of Scargill and the TUC we have the equivalent running CS programs in colleges. No need to develop self-reliance if the internet is a click away. Despite the hassles I've stuck with the ST forum for quite a while now. It has helped me, and I hope I've returned the favor. All without a government mandate...

(Educated in 80s British politics by way of Spitting Image fed over C-band to North America)

Jack Peacock

> I do have some sympathy for the "do my homework" posts.

Me too.

I think giving them some nudges in the right direction helps them much more then presenting a ready-made solution, at least in the long run. At some point, they must come to grips with reality. The fact that an increasing number of men in their twenties and thirties still live with their mum is related.

> No need to develop self-reliance if the internet is a click away.

Judging by the facts I learn here, elsewhere, and from my teenage kids, I'm afraid this missing self-reliance is a desired outcome of the education system.