cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using STM32L552 Bootloader to flash new firmware via CAN-FD port only the first 512 bytes are changed

KBorc.1
Associate II

Using STM32L552 Bootloader to flash new firmware via CAN-FD port only the first 512 bytes are changed starting from address 0x8000000 even though Write Unprotect (0x73) and Readout Unprotect (0x92) has been sent according to AN5405. Erase Memory (0x44) is working by setting all memory to 0xFF.

What needs to be done to flash new firmware beyond the first 512 bytes?

16 REPLIES 16
Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @KBorc.1​ ,

I'm checking this issue with our experts.

I'll keep you informed once I get an answer.

Internal ticket number: 121655 (PS: This is an internal tracking number and is not accessible or usable by customers).

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @KBorc.1​ ,

To go ahead with problem analysis, it is required to let us know the following:

1. What is the Bootloader version on your device? You can get it when reading the content of the address 0x0BF97FFE (more details in AN2606).
  2. What host are you using?

Thanks,

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

KBorc.1
Associate II

Hello Amel,

1. Trying to read from 0x0BF97FFE by bootloader command 0x11 (AN.5405) delivers only 0x79 (ACK) but no other information. Using bootloader command 0x01 (GetVersion) delivers ACK 0x10 0x00 0x00 ACK
  2. I am using the CAN-Suite from EMS Wünsche running on Windows 10 working on a CPC_USB/FD CAN-converter to send commands and reading answers from the STM32L552 controller

kind regards

Karl

TOlli
Senior

Hi Karl,

I don't have the same processor (I'm using H7 series) and there we noticed the same issue with FDCAN, the bootloader is able to flash only 63 bytes and the rest of the operations just hang.

This is noted in AN2606 table 104 for the STM32H7 (the document is the same for all STM32 models).

I spoke with support rep and apparently they are fully aware of this limitation, but at least for H74xx/H75xx series, they are not planning on fixing it.

Maybe you're experiencing the same issue, but it is just not listed for your device? It seems to me that ST reuses the bootloader for variety of products with small variations for pins and clocks.

Best regards,

Tero

Hi @KBorc.1​ ,

Thanks for your answer.

To make sure to get correct bootloader version, is it possible for you to read the cotent of the address 0x0BF97FFE using STM32CbeProgrammer?

-Amel

Hi Tero,

we have invested quite something in building our product in such a way as to use the STM32L552 bootloader for updating firmware via CAN_FD. You are seriously telling me flashing via CAN_FD does not work beyond the first 512 Bytes???? AN5405 mentions “Special (0x50)�? and “Extended Special 0x51�? commands without providing any details. Could you please investigate if theses commands might be used to flash at least the first bank or if there is another way to accomplish our task?

Kind regards

Karl

******Moderator action: Customer details removed******

Hi @KBorc.1​ ,

Please note that our expert made a test and confirmed that it is working properly on his side: he was able to write & read kbytes of data. using FDCAN bootloader.

Bootloader version of the device used for test is V9.2 (which is the last version for STM32L5).

That is why we would like to know the exact bootloader version on your device (read 1byte @0x0BF97FFE).

You & @TOlli​ are using different products, we cannot conclude that it is the same issue already recognized for STM32H74x/STM32H75x.

-Amel

Hi Amel,

I only have a ST-Link V2 adapter which shows this information trying to read address 0x0BF97FFE:

[cid:

image001.png@01D81451.77676180

]

So as I mentioned before there remains only the version information from the bootloader command 0x01: ACK 0x10 0x00 0x00 ACK.

Kind regards

Karl

******Moderator action: Customer details removed******

KBorc.1
Associate II

Hi Amel,

reading only 1 byte at 0x0BF97FFE did the trick: 0x92 is finally shown.

For your reference I explain exactly how I try writing;

• Command 0x44 (bank erase) with data 0xff 0xfe
  • Command 0x73 (unprotect flash)
  • Command 0x92 (unprotect readout)
  • Command 0x31 (flash data) with 4 blocks of 64 bytes of data

When I read back blocks of 256 bytes for checking I find that beginning at 0x080001F4 only 0xFF is reported. Actually 0xFF is found a few byte previous to this address.

Hopefully you can provide a way I can flash firmware using the CAN-FD port with my present hardware.

kind regards

Karl