cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U5 NOR Flash: Data Not Found After Reset

Dadigno
Associate III

I am currently developing on a custom board based on the STM32U5 microcontroller with the MX25UM512 NOR flash memory. I am following the example provided by the STM32CubeU5 SDK. The example works correctly when I first run it (so data is written correctly), but after I reset the board, the code does not pass through the "if" condition as explained by the comments.

nor_ospi_status =  fx_file_create(&nor_ospi_flash_disk, "STM32.TXT");

/* Check the create nor_xspi_status.  */
  if (nor_xspi_status != FX_SUCCESS)
  {
    /* Check for an already created nor_xspi_status. This is expected on the
    second pass of this loop!  */
    if (nor_xspi_status != FX_ALREADY_CREATED)
    {
      /* Create error, call error handler.  */
      Error_Handler();
    }
  }

I have already ensured that the memory is not formatted at every time: I have disabled the defines LX_STM32_OSPI_INIT and LX_STM32_OSPI_ERASE. Additionally, if I skip the fx_file_create operation during the second run, the fx_file_open function returns FX_NOT_FOUND.

I am not sure why this is happening. I would appreciate any help you can provide.

4 REPLIES 4
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @Dadigno and welcome to the community 🙂,

Please try to enable LX_STM32_OSPI_INIT and LX_STM32_OSPI_ERASE and let me know if the issue is solved or not?

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Dadigno
Associate III

Thank Kaouthar for your valuable feedback.

Enabling LX_STM32_OSPI_INIT and LX_STM32_OSPI_ERASE significantly increases the execution time. This is because (as explained here ) these options trigger the initialization and erasing of the OSPI flash memory, which is computationally intensive operation.

After some thorough debugging sessions, I have observed that FileX seems to fail to restore the previous FX_MEDIA state. This is quite puzzling, as it contradicts the expected behavior of FileX, which is to maintain data persistence across executions.

Any other ideas?

Davide

KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @Dadigno ,

Yes, these functions increases the execution time. But, I think that the issue is due to that the flash memory has not been erased properly.

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Dadigno
Associate III

What are the potential problems associated with this and why it happens?

Anyway, lx_stm32_ospi_erase function runs correctly and returns LX_SUCCESS.

#if (LX_STM32_OSPI_ERASE == 1)

ret = lx_stm32_ospi_erase(LX_STM32_OSPI_INSTANCE, (ULONG)0, (ULONG)0, 1);

if (ret != 0)
    {
      return LX_ERROR;
    }
#endif

If your assumption is correct, how can I verify it?

Davide