cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F103CBTx Is it possible to program a custom bootloader in system memory of the device?

JEnde.1
Associate II

6 REPLIES 6
SBEN .2
Senior II

Hello @JEnde.1​ ,

Short answer is yes and multiple open source projects that implement them can be found on the web (stm32-dfu-bootloader) for example. As a rule of thumb, if the internal flash memory can be reprogrammed by the user software or execution is possible from RAM, a bootloader is always possible regardless of its features.

EDIT: What I wrote above doesn't apply to system memory. Please check @Uwe Bonnes​ 's response.

Best regards,

@SBEN .2​ 

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Short answer is no. System memory is factory programmed and can not be changes. However you can have your own bootloader in flash.

You're right, I missed that she/he was talking about system memory 🙂

JEnde.1
Associate II

Thank You SBEN for the answer. So far clear for me, but my question was if the so called system memory can be used to store a custom bootloader. As far as I understood the manual there is a bootloader which is programmed by ST during production in the system memory. I would like to use this system memory to store my bootloader to safe flash memory for my application.

Hello @JEnde.1​ ,

Yeah, I missed that you were talking about the system memory (sorry 🙂 ). As @Uwe Bonnes​  answered above, it is not possible.

Best regards,

@SBEN .2​ 

JEnde.1
Associate II

Ok, I understand. Thank you for your fast response!