cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeMX: conflict between ''USB OTG FS Host Only'' mode and Timer1

jitesh2
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2014 at 12:32

I am in urgent need for help regarding firmware development for STM32F205RGT ST microcontroller.

I am using STM32CubeMX software tool to generate firmware code for STM32F205RGT based board.

When I select ''USB OTG_FS Host_Only'' mode, it conflicts with Timer1. TIM1 is marked with yellow riangle on the software tool. When I move the cursor over it, it shows the following conflict message:

----------------------------------------------------------

TIM: Timer Partly disabled conflict with:

Requires channel 1 and 2, 1 and 3 or 1 and 2 and 3 to be set either as a clock, a trigger source

or in input capture mode or/and

At least one channel must be set in output mode or/and

USB_OTG_FS: Mode Host_Only or/and

Channel3 must be in Input Direct Capture Mode to activate that mode or/and

An ITRx or TI1_ED must be selected as Clock/trigger source or/and

activated only when a channel is configured in output and not all in forced_output Not available

if ETR is used as Clock Source or Trigger Source

----------------------------------------------------------

It seems that the pins with alternate functions are causing the conflict between USB OTG FS and Timer1. Let me know what the problem is and how to resolve it. I tried to search for information at ST e2e Community support and ST FAQs, but I did not get a reliable answer. I can't change the development board hardware. Let me know if something can be changed in software via this tool STM32CubeMX in order to resolve this issue. I can send the srceen shot of the conflict from STM32CubeMX tool if requied.

Thanks,

Jitesh

#library #stm32 #usb #otg
4 REPLIES 4
jitesh2
Associate II
Posted on December 11, 2014 at 11:40

Can someone from ST Microelectronics customer support team help me? I do not know what to do next.

Thanks,

Jitesh

qwer.asdf
Senior
Posted on December 11, 2014 at 15:44

Just ignore it. When you use the USB FS Host-only it sets some restrictions on timer1 usage (i.e. you can't use most things on its channel 4 or use the ETR2 as its clock source. It doesn't mean that the TIMER1 will not work at all. Yellow background is just warnings so you can see what features are in conflict. So,  if TIMER1 has some restrictions then just use another timer, there are 14 of them after all... Or use the feature of the TIMER1 which don't make conflict to the USB.

jitesh2
Associate II
Posted on December 23, 2014 at 10:05

Hi qwert,

Thanks a lot for valuable information. We did generate the code ignoring the warning, but the code does not run properly on the MCU. The code gets stuck somewhere in some loop which is not traceable/visible from the development/IDE tool's GUI (CrossStudo). It looks like the timer interrupt conflicts with USB-Host functionality.

Moreover, STM32CubeMX tool does not give users the option to choose other timers or to replace Timer1 with other timers. Timer1 is picked/chosen/fixed by default by the tool. Can I change this timer1 to timer8 from the generated code directly?

Also, I tried to disable some of the conflicting functionalities of timer1 using STM32CubeMX tool, but it is very very confusing and almost unusable. Trying to disable those conflicting functionalities leads to more error and more warnings.

Let me know what is the best way to work-around this problem. Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.

Are you from ST Micro support team?

Thanks,

Jitesh

Posted on December 23, 2014 at 15:22

Are you from ST Micro support team?

No, neither am I, this is primarily a USER forum. There are perhaps two or three ST staffers supporting HAL/Cube here, and can be identified by the ST icon under their avatar.

If you are a business customer of ST you would have other support channels via ST reps and FAEs

Not sure why you can't debug the issue, the projects build completely from source.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..