cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silicon V CDC not working in Windows but silicon Y does

MRex
Associate III

I have been working with STM32H753IIK6 (Silicon rev Y) for the last couple of months and using the CDC console in Windows 10 for debug and comms for the program. It shows up as COM8 in Windows, and Putty can connect to the serial port and open the console successfully.

I just received in a batch of new boards that contains the STM32H753IIK6 (Silicon rev V). My Windows PC can detect it as COM8, with no detectable differences in Device Manager between rev V and Y (ie, no yellow bang). But when I go to connect with Putty, it fails with "Unable to open connection to COM8. Unable to configure serial port". This is a saved session, so its not a typo entering in connection details in Putty.

On my raspberry pi, minicom has no problems talking to either rev V or Y. Also, my colleague tried the Rev V on his Windows 10 PC and the serial port opened and console worked. So this looks like a problem with my PC. One thing to note, his Win10 was installed clean less than a month ago, whereas mine is several years old. But he would have installed latest STM apps/tools and I'd have a couple month old.

I did have to upgrade System Workbench from v2.7 to v2.9 yesterday to get the flash written on Rev V's out of the box, so today I was thinking maybe a new driver was needed to handle rev V, but since it just worked on my colleague's PC (and stm32 virtual driver is supposed to be native in W10), I have to assume something is broken on my PC. But I can't figure out what would appear differently to Windows to account for this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 REPLY 1
MRex
Associate III

I forgot to add, I tried on a netbook running Win10 (1803), and putty also failed to open the com port.