cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Git Commit Hash flashed along with my code?

Javier1
Principal

Howdy everyone.

I need my MCU to be selfaware of what FW version is currently flashed,

so far im just manually typing the git commit hash inside a const string every time i change the FW version.

0693W000008GHL5QAO.pngIt looks to me like a feature that should be supported somewhere but i couldnt find a thing.

Is there a way to automate this process?

cheers

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Javier1
Principal

I found how:

From this post https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44038428/include-git-commit-hash-and-or-branch-name-in-c-c-source

I added the following command inside Pre-build steps:

git log --pretty=format:'#define GIT_INFO_PRESENT%n static const char* GIT_INFO = "Version Information=[%H,%d]\r\n";' -n 1 > ../Core/Inc/gitcommit.h

0693W00000BaGGpQAN.png 

Creates the following content inside gitcommit.h

#define GIT_INFO_PRESENT
 static const char* GIT_INFO = "Version Information=[abc493ac20blablablae94a692e68, (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)]\r\n";

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
KnarfB
Principal III

Here is a nice idea requiring git only:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16524225/how-can-i-populate-the-git-commit-id-into-a-file-when-i-commit/38087913#38087913

Instead of the makefile modification, it can be done in STMCubeIDE as a pre-build command.

hth

KnarfB

Javier1
Principal

ill try that out and let you know.

thanks

Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

This is what we have inth BMP debugger Makefile:

```

include/version.h: FORCE

$(Q)echo " GIT include/version.h"

$(Q)echo "#define FIRMWARE_VERSION \"$(shell git describe --always --dirty --tags)\"" > $@

```

sorry but im a bit new with the makefile structure of stm.

What (where) do you mean with BMP debugger makefile?

BMP is some project for a debugger. But that does not matter for your problem, it should only show the principle

So youre saying BMP is just the name of your project.

I didnt understand what did you mean with "it should only show the principle"

Ok im diving inside the makefiles :0693W000008GS74QAG.png 

I am new with makefiles and i dont really know where to stick your code snippet:

$(Q)echo "#define FIRMWARE_VERSION \"$(shell git describe --always --dirty --tags)\"" > $@

0693W000008GS79QAG.png

When run in the example above, include/version.h contains something like '#define FIRMWARE_VERSION "v1.7.1-129-g43b79f10-dirty' Then "#include "version.h" in your code and you can access the string as FIRMWARE_VERSION.

and i can paste

anywhere in my makefile?

Also i noticed the makefiles get autogenerated everytime you rebuild your project in stm32cubeIDE so they overwrite anything i add to them,how are you dealing with this?

I do no use CubeIDE.