cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to source a 5.08mm lead pitch crystal for Nucleo-64 board

Adam Hamilton
Associate III

I am finding it difficult to source an external crystal for the Nucleo-64 board (The F103RB). The footprint for the X3 crystal calls for a lead pitch of 5.08mm however this seems to be very uncommon. Most of the crystals out there specifiy a lead pitch of 4.88.

Now, looking at the user guide for the Nucleo-64 boards, it mentions a part from HongKong crystal, 9SL8000016AFXHF0, which is:

1. Not useful for me as I want to be able to use a different frequency crystal
  2. The actual datasheet for that HongKong crystal specifies the lead pitch as 4.88mm :astonished_face:

Perhaps there an updated PCB design that has not made its way into the CAD resources section of the Nucleo-64 product page for the Nucleo F103RB?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

As an HC-49 crystal can easily be inserted by hand on the Nucleo board, even with this 5.08mm spacing, I guess nobody really encountered a problem before.

I entered a ticket, but, the design is "old", and I don't think there will be an update.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

The HC49 package has 4.88mm nominal lead distance with a ± 0.2mm or so tolerance. I doubt you will find nominal 5.08mm crystals, but the standard package should fit in the footprint, even if it is slightly off.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you for such a quick reply. My search also yielded nothing, except for a single oscillator with a lead pitch of 5.08mm.

As a former PCB designer, this would have been an absolute no-no for a PCB design to specify a foot print of 5.08mm and having a "she'll be right" approach.

Anyway, I would hope the ST guys out there might find some time to update the PCB footprints

Hello,

As an HC-49 crystal can easily be inserted by hand on the Nucleo board, even with this 5.08mm spacing, I guess nobody really encountered a problem before.

I entered a ticket, but, the design is "old", and I don't think there will be an update.

Very old board, no one is going to revisit, and some of the newer NUCLEO-64's have entirely different footprint for the crystals, moving to surface mount

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thanks Mike for entering that ticket however, like you said it probably won't be looked into.

It's just a pet peeve of mine that something like this would have gone through a PCB review and overlooked.

Anyway I have bought up some HC-49 crystals so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers for the all the help