cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very silly problem (STM32F746G discovery board)

DevOne
Associate II

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a STM32F746G discovery board to practice on, but I can't for the life of me get the built-in STLink to show in windows. By this I mean, I'm unable to power via mini-B and LD7 just flashes red. Once I change the jumper on JP1 to power via USB HS I can power the board on. But even then I can't detect the STLink connection. I've tried updating, downgrading, removing, reinstalling the stlink drivers (link004, link007 and link009) to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

To answer your questions:

Direct PC connection, no hub.

It is a new board and it is working fine now.

There was no ding-dong.

I tried another cable (1 foot) and my STM32 board worked fine. The cable in question is probably a charging cable and not a full USB cable. It has USB symbol + B on the end with micro USB connector and a normal USB symbol on USB-A side. I did not realize that I had a USB charging cable in my mix of different USB cables. Hopefully, someone will not make the same mistake that I did.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DevOne
Associate II

Oh! Let me also add.... I did try a different cable and different power sources (USB ports on hub, motherboard and second PC)

Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @DevOne ,

What message error you have?

Try using STM32CubeProgrammer and connecting the board with hardware reset and 'under reset' mode.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
DevOne
Associate II

From STLink it's literally "No ST-Link detected", and the same equivalent message from STM32CubeProgrammer et al

Lloyd1968
Associate

I had the same problem. I changed from a 1 foot USB cable to a 3 foot USB cable, and the software was able to detect the NUCLEO-F439ZI board that I have. There was firmware update on the board, so I thought that it might fix the problem I went back to the 1 foot USB cable, but the software could not detect the board. With the 1 foot USB cable, the red light flashes. When I use the 3 foot USB cable, the red light is solid. I hope this helps.

AScha.3
Chief II

Hi,

What system you use ? (Win10/64 ?)

+ use direct cable to usb on PC , no hub !

+ Is board new and 100% not damaged ?

+ When connect USB plug, can you hear the "ding-dong" sound?

If nothing at all - try other USB cable ( and proof, its not only a charger cable).

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Let me try this. The other suggestions I've already done (as mentioned in the first posts). The issue is "STLink not detected", so changing reset settings wouldn't work. I ordered a longer cable (1m) as the ones I've tried are all quite short.

Hello,

To answer your questions:

Direct PC connection, no hub.

It is a new board and it is working fine now.

There was no ding-dong.

I tried another cable (1 foot) and my STM32 board worked fine. The cable in question is probably a charging cable and not a full USB cable. It has USB symbol + B on the end with micro USB connector and a normal USB symbol on USB-A side. I did not realize that I had a USB charging cable in my mix of different USB cables. Hopefully, someone will not make the same mistake that I did.