Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F769BIT6 Operating current and temperature

Mr.Developer
Associate II

Hi

We have a board with STM32F769BIT6 MCU.

When we drive the board with 3.3V, MCU current consumption is about 400~450 mA and it gets really hot!

When we drive the board with voltages below 3V, for example 2.5V, it takes about 20~30 mA and stays cool and fully functional.

In the datasheet it is stated that the operating voltage range is 1.8 to 3.6. We have designed our board based on 3.3V but this high current consumption and high temperature is not accepted for us.

Our design is completely based on STM32F769I-EVAL. Only the package is different. We are using STM32769BI (LQFP208) whereas the evaluation board is using STM32F769NI (TFBGA216). We have declared all IO pins as analog inputs so as to avoid accidental current draining.

Does anyone have similar experience? Are we missing any point here?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

> According to the datasheet page 29, if DSI is not used, then VDD12DSI must be connected to VDD:

No, it says VDDDSI must be connected to VDD.

It says VDD12DSI must be connected to VCAPDSI.

VDDDSI (pin 118) and VDD12DSI (pin 125) are different pins.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
TDK
Guru

That is not typical. There is likely a hardware error or wiring error present.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

We are pretty sure that there is no hardware error. We have checked everything. Our design is completely based on STM32F769I-EVAL. Only the package is different. We are using STM32769BI (LQFP208) whereas the evaluation board is using STM32F769NI (TFBGA216). We have declared all IO pins as analog inputs so as to avoid accidental current draining.

Is this repeatable across multiple boards/chips? If so, I'm going to stick with a hardware/layout issue.

The chip can operate at 3.3V without drawing 400mA as it does on many boards, including the STM32F769I-EVAL.

Share your schematic if you want.

Does it also occur when the flash is erased?

Keep checking it until you understand why.

Suggestive of a short, or issue with power domains or LDO

Probably start with the VCAP pins and placed components.

Perhaps engage with the FAE responsible for your account.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Mr.Developer
Associate II

I have attached the schematic for MCU. I am using external stable power supply for test purpose so I have not included the power section.

0693W00000DmAj9QAF.jpg

TDK
Guru

VDD12DSI connected to VDD_MCU doesn't look right.

According to the datasheet page 29, if DSI is not used, then VDD12DSI must be connected to VDD:

0693W00000DmAl5QAF.jpg

> According to the datasheet page 29, if DSI is not used, then VDD12DSI must be connected to VDD:

No, it says VDDDSI must be connected to VDD.

It says VDD12DSI must be connected to VCAPDSI.

VDDDSI (pin 118) and VDD12DSI (pin 125) are different pins.

Yes you are right... I have fixed it and everything seems to be ok now.

Thank you so much.