cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407G-DISC1 does not support virtual com, I cannot send data to PC via UART through virtual com

demir
Senior II

Hi All,

I can not send data from the board to the PC via UART. I can see that USART2 can be used as virtual com. But, when send data from board to the PC, I can not see anything on serial port, I use TeraTerm, Putty, Hercules. I thought the new version of STM32F407G-DISC1 board has this feature built in, but apparently it does not.

Can anyone help me with this please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Correct, only later models had the firmware/parts for the ST-LINK/V2-1 (mbed) however the PCB does not support physically connectivity to any of the UARTs like later DISCO and NUCLEO models.

It could perhaps be wired, but honestly probably more of a headache. Perhaps use a cheap RPi-Pico as a USB-to-Serial, or use one of the NUCLEO-F429ZI, etc

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @demir 

I think the replays in this link can help you. 

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Correct, only later models had the firmware/parts for the ST-LINK/V2-1 (mbed) however the PCB does not support physically connectivity to any of the UARTs like later DISCO and NUCLEO models.

It could perhaps be wired, but honestly probably more of a headache. Perhaps use a cheap RPi-Pico as a USB-to-Serial, or use one of the NUCLEO-F429ZI, etc

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
demir
Senior II

Hi @Tesla DeLorean AND @STTwo-32 

I have the STM32F407G-DISC1, MB997E. Isnt this supporting virtual com port ?

No, this module include only  ST-LINK/V2-A wich is for SWD only without Virtual COM Port (VCP). But there is a workaround that allows you to retrofit the Virtual COM Port (VCP) for the ST-LINK/V2-A. You can find the workaround in the post mentionned on my first replay.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Could you please advise me some options that I can order which comes with Virtual Com Port ?

Thank you.

Look at the Newer DISCOVERY and NUCLEO Board. For example, @Tesla DeLorean suggest you to use the NUCLEO-F429ZI.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

Such as which DISCOVERY board ? I want to make sure I choose the right one.

You may use one of our last discovery board, the STM32H573I-DK. Also, you can find other boards that support Virtual COM port such as the B-L475E-IOT01A.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

I too have an STM32F407G-DISC1.

I am successfully flashing code to it, and I know that the code

HAL_UART_Transmit(&huart2, (uint8_t *)message, strlen(message), 100);

runs, but I am not able to view my message by any means I have tried to cat ttyACM0, Putty, Serial Monitor plugin for VSCode.

Is it really so that serial communication is unavailable for this board? Doesn't that make it useless if you are integrating it into a system and want to (e.g.) read some sensor values such as the accelerometer?

Joachim Spange
Head in the embedded