cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F103C8T6 vs CS32F103C8T6 clone

CAdel.1
Associate

Hi ST Community, 

let me shortly introduce myself. I´m Chris and work as Quality Engineer for a company which develops and sells product for the event industry (speakers and stage lightning). 

I have a question regarding clones of STM32. 

Due to the known shortage of STM32 one of our supplier suggested to use a copy of original STM for a couple of products. Clone is CKS CS32F103C8T6 (picture attached). 

I am unclear if we can sell our products with this of copy in Europe or if it is illegal. 

Sorry if this question seems to be stupid but this is my first contact with clones of STM32´s.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

Selling counterfeit goods is surely not allowed in Europe.

You may ask if they're counterfeit if they're not marked as "STM" parts. I don't know the answer to that, but it sure seems like they use intellectual property of ST, and if people are referring to them as "clones", and the only place you can buy them is on the gray market and not from reputable suppliers, it sure feels like they're counterfeit to me.

Clearly it still happens but I don't think you'll get anyone's blessing to do so.

(I'm not affiliated with or paid by ST.)

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

These are clone parts.They have a similar CortextM3 core, also a newer core revision and the devices has similar behaviour as STM and same register space a,d maye some extensions and maybe some omissions. A clean-room reimplementation of peripheral behaviour is not illegal in most places so consider them somehow as second source, but from a supplier with unknown reputation.

I'm not a lawyer, but the trap here is that your company will be the one holding the bag and being sued if you use IP without a license, violate a patent, or several. ST is undoubtedly paying into a pools covering multiple patents, and licensing technologies.

You'll be a lot easier target than some Chicom entity that can't be served.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
CAdel.1
Associate

Thanks for your answers. That helps. I will further discuss this with our supplier and if necessary with a lawyer.