cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can STM32H7 chip be directly program with STLink/V2 via SWD ?

PGama.1
Associate II

I have designed a costimazed PCB board based on NECLEO-H743Z12 board, and I have removed the build in STLink debugger, hoping that I will use the external STLink/V2 programmer via SWD. I have followed the schematics data sheet and connected pins [3.3V, GND, TMS, TCK, SWO] directly to H7 chip pins [PA13, PA14, PB3, VDD,GND]. I’m using the STLink software tool to detect the chip but till now I’m constantly getting error messages that the target chip is not detected.

What am I missing, am I doing something wrong ? Is it possible to program this chip directly? and how ? I will really appreciate your help as I’m new and this is my first customize design.

thanks !

3 REPLIES 3

It should be capable of working and connecting. I'd have the NRST wired up also.

That you can't connect is more indicative that the H7 isn't running.

What other signs-of-life testing have you done? Can you pull BOOT0 High and connect to the ROM System Loader via USART1 (PA9,PA10) or USB?

Check level on NRST pin.

Check voltage on VCAP pins.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
PGama.1
Associate II

Update on the current issue (STM32H7 STlink-v2 programmer to breakout board ). it seems i can connect but the chip is not responding. here is the results from the STlink software tool. What am i missing ?

0693W00000DpuudQAB.png 

And the next is the results from the cubeIED

0693W00000DpumpQAB.png

Hi @Community member​ thanks for your quick response, I forgot to mentioned that NRST PIN was connected. I have attached the schematics bellow. the only test I did was to check the VDD powering the board with 3.3V and i have tested the VCAP pins with 1V, as for the USART, only the USART3 pinout is available on this breakout board.

0693W00000DplLZQAZ.png