cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart gold jewelry with NFC

Herrkratos
Associate

Hello,

I have a jewelry brand and i´ve been thinking about making smart jewelry with NFC technology. I found a 5x5mm NFC chip but it´s still too big for fine jewelry; i read somewhere in a forum that i can find here the smallest NFC chip (2x3mm), does that chip exist (I think is in the ST25T series)? or which one do you recommend for that purpose?.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

Most distributors have a parametric search. Digikey shows a 1.7x1.4mm chip in the ST25 series. I'd look through datasheets there to make your selection based on your project requirements.

TDK_0-1692984803411.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

Most distributors have a parametric search. Digikey shows a 1.7x1.4mm chip in the ST25 series. I'd look through datasheets there to make your selection based on your project requirements.

TDK_0-1692984803411.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thank you so much, i´ll look through the datasheets.

@Herrkratos You should also consider that NFC technology is based on radio transmission. In addition to the NFC chip, you also need an antenna connected to the chip (wire coil, circuit board tracks, or similar). If you glue this antenna onto metal or even embed it in metal in any way, you will not enjoy successful NFC communication (see also Faraday cage).

However, NFC could work well with non-metallic jewellery that does not act like the aforementioned Faraday cage.

Good luck!
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.