cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

identical RFID chip at external interface on ST25RU3993 EVAL board

LKUMA.1
Associate II

Hello ST and users

In the ST25RU3993 EVAL boared, the micro controller interacts with the RFID reader chip through SPI interface and control signals ( 93_signals) - altogether six data lines in total. The SPI interface is also shared with a carrier cancellation chip.

We wish to add an identical RFID chip and PCB externally through external interfaces ( SPI and 93_signals) and disable/not use the on-board RFID reader chip. This would perhaps allow us to use the already available firmware/GUI for this development kit and we could reduce efforts in Firmware development.

Is such an approach feasible ? what are the consequence on the micro Controller and its re-programming ? is there an application notes for something similar

Thanks and best

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi LK,

clear now.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000CBlGLuSQN/how-to-port-the-st25ru3993-firmware-to-a-stand-alone-mcu-board describes a similar approach. I think the firmware should work out of the box to your needs.

We regularly do such cross-connects when debugging customer designs in HF and UHF.

Regards, Ulysses

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi,

your request is not really clear to me: What do you mean by "identical RFID chip"? Which other chips are there that are identical to ST25RU3993?

Regards, Ulysses

LKUMA.1
Associate II

Hi Ulysses

Sorry for the confusion. I was indeed referring to ST25RU3993. We plan to make a customized PCB similar to the schematic of the the eval kit. We simply the circuitry by eliminating the 20 db coupler and power detector and possibly also the carrier cancellation circuitry (it is recommended but we have space limitation).

Our goal was to connect this PCB to the microcontroller on the eval kit and use the ST reader suite to read tags without significantly increasing efforts on firmware development.

best

LK

Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi LK,

clear now.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000CBlGLuSQN/how-to-port-the-st25ru3993-firmware-to-a-stand-alone-mcu-board describes a similar approach. I think the firmware should work out of the box to your needs.

We regularly do such cross-connects when debugging customer designs in HF and UHF.

Regards, Ulysses