cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency shift as a consequence of metal presence

ASant.6
Associate II

Hello to all,

I would like to know what considerations and calculations i have to do to know the frequency shift as a consequence of the metal presence near the NFC/RFID antenna tag and also it is dependent of metal type and size of the tag. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Berenice BENVEGUDA
ST Employee

Hello,

Your question is not easy to answer. General physic on this domain relies on Maxwell equations. The shift of the frequency depends on several parameters : the antenna size, the number of turns of the antenna, the distance between the metal and the metal area regarding the antenna area ... It requires electromagnetic simulations .. or good experiment !

we have a quick evaluation in an application note available on our web site : How to design an antenna chapter 3.5.3

I hope this helps you

Best Regards,

BB

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi ASant.6,

is your interest more on reader or tag side? Or is this a general physics question?

BR, Ulysses

ASant.6
Associate II

Hello Ulysses I am interested on tag side, but is also a general physics question. I want to design a NFC tag and calculate the shifts taking in account the antenna size and amount of metal.

Thank you!

Berenice BENVEGUDA
ST Employee

Hello,

Your question is not easy to answer. General physic on this domain relies on Maxwell equations. The shift of the frequency depends on several parameters : the antenna size, the number of turns of the antenna, the distance between the metal and the metal area regarding the antenna area ... It requires electromagnetic simulations .. or good experiment !

we have a quick evaluation in an application note available on our web site : How to design an antenna chapter 3.5.3

I hope this helps you

Best Regards,

BB

ASant.6
Associate II

Ill try both experiments and simulations.

Thank you so much,

Antonio