cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FCC, CE, TELEC, CC, SRRC certification requirement of sensor product integrated with ST25DV-I2C

xhli
Associate

Hello, according to my sketchy investigation, passive NFC tags are not required to do FCC, CE certification, because they have no battery and are activated by radio waves emitted by the reader.This conclusion was drawn by unofficial contents.

I also checked official regulations but found no definite terms that exempt passive NFC tags from these certifications.

I am not sure whether ST25DV-I2C integrated product falls into the category of passive NFC tags and needs FCC, CE, TELEC, CC, SRRC certification. The product(framed in red rectangle) can achieve read/write, NFC charging and OTA upgrade to I2C host.

Is this product required to do FCC, CE, TELEC, CC, SRRC certification?

xhli_0-1694425697048.png

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alan BST
ST Employee

Hello,

The subject of the tags in certification has been into a lot of discussion and debate and still is nowadays in RED institutions.

We are not specialized in certifications like emc laboratory but i'll give you the information we have from our experience and our certification laboratory. I can speak only for FCC, UKCA, ISED, CE & RED certification because we do not submit our boards for other certifications such as SRRC.

The electronic component alone (Tags reader etc..) is not subject to FCC CE RED (etc.) certification but as soon as it's mounted on a product (such as sticker, PCB) and coupled with antenna it became subject to pass the FCC CE RED certification.

The tags, Dynamic and powered by external sources or passive and powered only by the reader, are subject to pass the certifications. The fact that the passive tag is not powered by a battery doesn't mean that he's not subject of certifications. 

Here is an extract of the red directive: 

1.6.3 Specific cases / examples (non-exhaustive)

1.6.3.13 RFID TAG

TAG are radio equipment within the scope of the RED and the manufacturer of the TAG is responsible for compliance.

Due to the nature or size of TAGs, CE marking, contact details and other required information may not be affixed on the TAG.

Non-radio products (e.g. passports, credit cards) which are tagged, other than the TAG itself (as clarified above), are not radio equipment and do not require CE marking and contact details for the purposes of the RED.

the argument is that a passive tag, even if it's not directly emitting, is influencing the magnetic field of the reader and so changing it as well.

The product, after when the tags is mounted on, is not subject of the RED for example:

If I mount a RFID Sticker on a jacket (non-radio product), the jacket will not be subject to RED certification but the RFID Sticker is.

So the ST25DV-I2C, as well as other passive tags, is subject to the certifications FCC, UKCA, ISED, CE & RED for the other certification, I suggest to directly ask to laboratory.

Thank you

Alan 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Alan BST
ST Employee

Hello,

The subject of the tags in certification has been into a lot of discussion and debate and still is nowadays in RED institutions.

We are not specialized in certifications like emc laboratory but i'll give you the information we have from our experience and our certification laboratory. I can speak only for FCC, UKCA, ISED, CE & RED certification because we do not submit our boards for other certifications such as SRRC.

The electronic component alone (Tags reader etc..) is not subject to FCC CE RED (etc.) certification but as soon as it's mounted on a product (such as sticker, PCB) and coupled with antenna it became subject to pass the FCC CE RED certification.

The tags, Dynamic and powered by external sources or passive and powered only by the reader, are subject to pass the certifications. The fact that the passive tag is not powered by a battery doesn't mean that he's not subject of certifications. 

Here is an extract of the red directive: 

1.6.3 Specific cases / examples (non-exhaustive)

1.6.3.13 RFID TAG

TAG are radio equipment within the scope of the RED and the manufacturer of the TAG is responsible for compliance.

Due to the nature or size of TAGs, CE marking, contact details and other required information may not be affixed on the TAG.

Non-radio products (e.g. passports, credit cards) which are tagged, other than the TAG itself (as clarified above), are not radio equipment and do not require CE marking and contact details for the purposes of the RED.

the argument is that a passive tag, even if it's not directly emitting, is influencing the magnetic field of the reader and so changing it as well.

The product, after when the tags is mounted on, is not subject of the RED for example:

If I mount a RFID Sticker on a jacket (non-radio product), the jacket will not be subject to RED certification but the RFID Sticker is.

So the ST25DV-I2C, as well as other passive tags, is subject to the certifications FCC, UKCA, ISED, CE & RED for the other certification, I suggest to directly ask to laboratory.

Thank you

Alan