cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

energy harvesting

Schuyler
Senior

I am thinking if it is possible to use a reader to read out the values through the ST25DV(Powered mcu by the Veh from ST25dv). Therefore, I bought x-nucelo-NFC7 and stm32l4, and I hope to power L4 through EH energy, but the energy obtained through NFC makes the L4 power lamp light up, but the MCU does not run successfully. What should I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Schuyler You should not discuss the topic on several threads, because hardly anyone will be able to comprehend this as a problem solution later on.

But to make it clear once again: the EH pin can very well supply an ultra low power MCU such as STM32L. But only if you apply all the necessary power-saving measures and do not connect any power-hungry external devices such as LEDs or your 50mW sensor.

By the way, I consider charging a battery to be a power-hungry application. However, it might be possible to store the harvested energy in a capacitor and then, not simultaneously, use it to supply the STM32L and the 50mW sensor. This is purely a calculation experiment and requires some tricky development.

Good luck
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Rene Lenerve
ST Employee

Hi Schuyler,

you need to determine how much power EH is able to provide to the MCU to know how to configure the L4. You can measure Voltage and Current.provided by the EH to help you understand what to do with the L4. Upon that you need to reduce the consumption of the L4 by reducing clock speed and using low power mode of the L4. Don't forget to deactivate IPs you are not using in your application (this could save some power). Another tips, is to set all unused GPIOs in ANALOG input mode too.

Here are documentation links to help you:

AN4913 : Energy harvesting delivery impact on ST25DV-I2C Series 

RM0432 : Reference Manual for STM32L4 

I hope this can help you.

Kind Regards.

Hi @Rene Lenerve 

I have measured the energy output of EH, and its power is only less than 10 MW, which cannot drive the L4 acquisition sensor. Then I have learned the NFC WLC function, and how does ST25 achieve wireless power supply? How is the Battery charging implemented?

Kind Regards.

Berenice BENVEGUDA
ST Employee

Hi @Schuyler ,

In NFC WLC the EH function of the ST25DV is not used.

You told us that f you get 10mW, Have you worked on your reader environment ( power, position, distance, etc) to try to get more ? 

Best Regards,

BB

Schuyler
Senior

Hi @Berenice BENVEGUDA 

OK! The best EH I can get from the manual is a few milliwatts, which is not enough to drive the L4 for any other purpose. However, I also need to use the energy of NFC to drive MCU, so I think the energy collected by EH cannot complete my task, so I consider the function of NFC WLC. Is there any relevant reference for the example of driving L4 through ST25DV?

Best Regards,

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

@Schuyler 10mW can be quite sufficient if you avoid all power wasters. This includes things like @Rene Lenerve has already mentioned (unused GPIO on the STM32L4 have to be switched to analogue mode, clock speed, etc.). But this also includes externally connected circuit parts, such as the lamp you mentioned at the beginning, which alone probably takes up the entire EH energy.

If you want to operate a NUCLEO with the X-NUCLEO and EH, you have to carefully identify and meticulously minimise all power consumers, both externally and internally (stop modes, clock of HSE, switching off any unused peripherals, etc).

By the way, a connected ST-LINK on the debug port also counts.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Schuyler
Senior

Hi @Peter BENSCH 

My project is to use the collected energy to test the sensor, and the power consumption is 40mw, so I estimate that this function cannot be realized, and the collected energy can only be expanded through NFC WLC.Any better suggestions?

Best Regards,

Hi, @Schuyler

Well, the NFC field is strong enough to power an STM32L4 and even a segment LCD connected to it, although NFC was not originally intended for this purpose. The low power consumption of ultra-low-power MCUs makes this possible in the meantime. However, the achievable power is no longer sufficient for larger consumers.

Regards
/Peter

Schuyler
Senior

Hi @Peter BENSCH 

Yes, but I have noticed that some related products of ST company also collect sensor signals without power supply, such as STEVAL-SMARTAGx. May I ask if this should also supply power to L0 through NFC energy?

Yes, the STEVAL-SMARTAG1 is also completely powered by the NFC field, but in addition to the ultra-low power STM32L031K6, it also has only ultra-low power sensors LIS2DW12LPS22HB and HTS221 (obsolete), which in total manage with significantly less than 1mA.

Regards
/Peter