cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding STEVAL-SMARTAG2 to ST Asset tracking

Aristotles
Associate II

When I try to add the STEVAL-SMARTAG2 as a device to the ST Asset Tracker app, nothing happens. It detects the NFC, yet no ID is registered. Must I activate the NFC before?

Edit: I tried the steps (see below) in the manual to enable the UART by removing the "//", but I get no info/data in the Tera Term application after I press reset on the Smarttag2. What am I doing wrong? 

Aristotles_0-1724058499707.png

Aristotles_0-1724058644432.png

9 REPLIES 9
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

To communicate and register the STEVAL-SMARTAG2 on ST Asset Tracking App, the NFC on mobile phone must be activated.

See the Quick Start Guide to enable/disable the UART logging functionality. Make sure that the sources are recompiled after uncommenting SMARTAG2_ENABLE_PRINTF define (i.e. make sure Firmware_conf.h has been saved to the disk before compiling). Check the USB cable and the serial port setting (115200,8,N,1). 

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thanks for your reply and the link to the guide! I was able to perform Step 1 and flash the pre-compiled binary and thereafter able to add the Smartag2 via NFC in the ST Asset App. But in Step 2 I did not have any further success as I still have issue with showing any text in Tera Term when pressing Reset on the Smartag2. The port setting is correct, I have uncommented the SMARTAG2_ENABLE_PRINTF define text and saved. Does the FP-SNS-SMARTAG2 folder have to be in a specific place? 

Aristotles_0-1724941268819.png

Hi,

I apologize by advance if my question is naive: have you recompiled the firmware and then downloaded it to the board after uncommenting SMARTAG2_ENABLE_PRINTF? Have you followed the instruction from "How Install the code after compiling the project" (slide 12 of the Quick Start Guide)

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

No I did not perform steps on slide 12 as I did not fully understand how to recompile and download using IDE (I work with mechanics where I am trying to evaluate some sensors for a project so my programming knowledge is not the best). Are there more detailed instructions on how to perform slide 12 steps? 

Hi,

If I am not wrong, the UART is enabled by default in the SmarTag2.bin application. Have you inserted a CR2032 or a LIR2032 battery in the battery holder?

On my side, with a battery being inserted, I can see the trace on the serial terminal.

See UM3034 Getting started with the STEVAL-SMARTAG2 NFC dynamic tag sensor and processing node evaluation board.

Rgds

BT

I tried again and now the log/text would show in Tera Term! The issue was that both programs have to be opened at the same time, as when I program in STM32CubeProgrammer it displays the log in Tera Term. Before I would program, close CubeProgrammer and then after open Tera Term and press "Reset" on the SmartTag2 where nothing happens. Because it says "When you first press the reset button, the application", this only works when I have both programs open and I program (at least for me). 

I am suppose to be able to press Reset and the User button (https://www.st.com/resource/en/product_presentation/fp-sns-smartag2-quick-start-guide.pdf) on SmarTag2 in order for FTM to start and FW-update, but nothing happens. I also tried in the ST NFC app, but it says I need to update the FW version.

Aristotles_0-1725027942121.png

Aristotles_1-1725028094305.png

Hi,

make sure to flash SimpleBootLoader.bin at the standard boot address (0x08000000), then flash FirmwareUpdate.bin at 0x08002000:

BrianTIDAL_0-1725285582863.png

Disconnect the flash programmer. Press the reset button on the board.

Wait few seconds. Once the following message is displayed "NFCTAG Written the Interrupt Configuration", press the USER button and wait for "Starting FTM" and then "Started FTM". 

It should be then possible to update the FW with the ST25 NFC App.

Rgds

BT

Great thanks this worked! Howver, later in the NFC app, I use the FirmwareUpdate.bin that I downloaded on my phone and edited the password (since the default one does not work) and it starts to update FW. But it does not seem to be very stable as the kb downloaded varies from 2000 to 0 until it aborts and the app crashes and then I have to re-flash everything again as it has "lost" connection in the app. 

I have been able to log data in the ST Asset app and upload to the Cloud/website account, but I am not able to see any acc data on the web, do you know why? Acc data logs in the app while temperature and pressure show in app + web. 

In general I must say that I prefer the Unico GUI more, if only ST could release those test-kits with battery as well as the cable has some test-limitations. 

Aristotles_4-1725367317637.png

Hello,

I read the messages and for me there is a bit confusion.

The package FP-SNS-SMARTAG2 is composed of 3 examples and 1 application:

Examples:

• OneShot: reads in energy harvesting mode the ambient light and environmental sensor data on your IoT node by the means of an NFC enabled reader, such as a mobile phone or tablet, through a suitable AndroidST or iOST application such as the ST NFC Sensor (for only STEVAL-SMARTAG2B)
  • SimpleBootLoader: apply the firmware updated replacing the current running firmware with the new version received via NFC or runs the current firmware if the new version is not available.
  • SmarTag2: reads the ambient light, motion and environmental sensor data on your IoT node by the means of an NFC enabled reader, such as a mobile phone or tablet, through a suitable AndroidST or iOST application such as the ST Asset Tracking.

Applications:

• FirmwareUpdate: it saves the new firwmare received via NFC using the ST FTM protocol and saves it on the right flash region and works with the SimpleBootLoader example for enabling the Firmware Update capability.

Each example can be used for the topic that is dedicated only.

For the FirmwareUpdate, download the binary "FirmwareUpdate_BL.bin" in your STEVAL-SMARTAG2 board and using the binary "FirmwareUpdate.bin" to test the update firmware via NFC.
See the page 11,12,13, 16, 23 and 24 in the https://www.st.com/resource/en/product_presentation/fp-sns-smartag2-quick-start-guide.pdf.

NOTE: The "FirmwareUpdate" source code is ONLY simple application to show how to firmware update can be done via NFC.
In the pack ONLY "FirmwareUpdate" can be used for that.

You can use the source code of the "FirmwareUpdate" to write your application that support the the updated via NFC.

Regards,
Salvatore Curti.