cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor Control SDK5.2 with STM32F429ZI

Mike Thompson
Associate III

I attended the excellent motor control sessions last week at the ST Developers Conference in Santa Clara, CA. At the presentation I received the Nucleo F302R8 and X-Nucleo-IHM07M1 boards which I've been experimenting with. However, I would now like to use ST Motor Control Workbench to target the STM32F429ZI chip we are looking to use in our custom motor control systems. To get started, I would like to pair the X-Nucleo-IHM07M1 with the Nucleo F429ZI development board, but I don't see a way of selecting the STM32F429ZI MCU in the Motor Control Workbench.

The closest I can get is in the "MCU and Clock Frequency Selection" is choosing "STM32F4xx" as the MCU type and "STM32F417IG" as the MCU. With this I can produce the ST32CubeMX project, but within STM32CubMX, I can't change the MCU to the actual STM32F429 MCU I would like to target.

Is there a way of using the ST Motor Control Workbench to easily target the STM32F429? Is there an alternative way of using the STM32CubeMX to manually configure a project with the Motor Control middleware and the STM32F429 MCU?

Thanks,

Mike Thompson

3 REPLIES 3
Claire O.
ST Employee

Hello Mike,

First thanks for your positive feedback on the motor control workshop in Santa Clara.

About your request, yes there is a way to use a new MCU using CubeMX.

We prepared an application note that should help you,  AN5166 at the following address:

https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00505156.pdf

​Please tell us if it helps you and if you have still problems don't hesitate to contact us,

Best regards,

Claire

Mike Thompson
Associate III

Terrific. I'll read through this and get back with any further questions.

Mike Thompson
Associate III

OK, I've read through AN5166 and it answers a LOT of my questions. Particularly where it describes using the import feature of STM32CubeMX to import the .ioc from a motor control project to another project that has my specific chip (STM32F429) in my case. Unfortunately, I am running into other hardware issues which I'll ask under another topic.