cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L9963E eval kit not responding correctly to the GUI

Iviti.1
Associate III

So I just plugged in my Eval kit. I have 12V in the barrel jack and am connected to the usb to my pc. When I switch to the appropriate port, I can use the eval kit GUI to connect and ask for the Firmware version. It responds 1.6 which should be correct. But then the next step is to change ID assignment to 1 and looking at the D13 LED to light up. This does not happen. Even more confusingly, I see the D5 led (TX) light up then the D4 led (RX) light up. shouldnt it be backwards? Finally, It says the Ack light should turn green when I press configure IDs but it stays red. Am I missing a step? is 12 V 1 amp not enough power for this board?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Iviti.1
Associate III

The X1 connector requires a 12V power supply to power the low voltage side of the board - this includes the microcontroller. However, you also need to provide power to the high voltage side of the board (this includes the L9963E) in order to power and communicate with the IC. Since you are only providing 12V to the uC, the behavior you are seeing is normal - the uC acknowledges and replies with the FW version. Since the L9963E is not powered on, it cannot communicate, and so the uC continues to poll waiting for a SPI response.

Please download the user manual available on our website (https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/eval-l9963e-mcu.html#documentation) and follow the jumper configuration laid out in section 2.2, as well as the getting started guide (section 3). This will outline the steps needed to get the board up and running properly. Specifically, providing power to P2 -> at a minimum P2-15 (VBAT) and P2-9/23 (GND) should be connected to provide 12V (or stack voltage) to the L9963E.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Iviti.1
Associate III

I tried 2 different power supplies (12 V 1 A or 5V 4 A) but I get the same results on both

Iviti.1
Associate III

The X1 connector requires a 12V power supply to power the low voltage side of the board - this includes the microcontroller. However, you also need to provide power to the high voltage side of the board (this includes the L9963E) in order to power and communicate with the IC. Since you are only providing 12V to the uC, the behavior you are seeing is normal - the uC acknowledges and replies with the FW version. Since the L9963E is not powered on, it cannot communicate, and so the uC continues to poll waiting for a SPI response.

Please download the user manual available on our website (https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/eval-l9963e-mcu.html#documentation) and follow the jumper configuration laid out in section 2.2, as well as the getting started guide (section 3). This will outline the steps needed to get the board up and running properly. Specifically, providing power to P2 -> at a minimum P2-15 (VBAT) and P2-9/23 (GND) should be connected to provide 12V (or stack voltage) to the L9963E.

Horakuso
Associate II

Had same issue. Powering L9963E fixed the problem. Connecting power supply or bateries with some voltage to L9963E that will power L9963 chip.