cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L6599 vs L6699 behaviour of LINE pin

FBaro.11
Associate II

I refer to two (2) devices used for control of LLC DC-DC converter: L6599, and the newer L6699.

In our application, we must enable and disable the gate drive output pulses via a separate signal. The transition from ENABLE to DISABLE must be instantaneous (very short time delay, less than, say, 200ns). The transition from DISABLE to ENABLE must also be instantaneous, ie: must NOT trigger a SOFT-START.

Recently I have been advised that the best way to achieve all these goals is to use the LINE (pin 7 in both devices). The problem is that pulling this pin LOW to disable means that the chip will do later do a soft-start when it is re-enabled. However, the L6599 datasheet also mentioned that driving LINE high (above 7V) will also shut-down gate pulses, and will restore gate pulses without invoking soft-start (this is what we want). (Aside: this is only mentioned deep in the L6599 datasheet on page 24, and it is NOT mentioned in the pin description table; may I suggest this could be improved in future datasheets.)

My concern is that shutting down the chip by driving LINE high is NOT mentioned in the datasheet for the L6699. It simply states: "The voltage on the pin is top-limited by an internal Zener. Tie the pin to VCC with a =100 kΩ resistor if not used."

Could you please advise: Does the L6699 behave in the same manner as the L6599 when the LINE pin is driven above 7V?

If the answer is "it does NOT behave the same way", then the next question is:

For the L6699, how can the intended operation be achieved?

1 REPLY 1
FBaro.11
Associate II

This question was answered in an OLS (OnLine Support) case created 23-May-2021.

Case title: L6599 vs L6699 behaviour of LINE pin

The question was: "Does the L6699 behave in the same manner as the L6599 when the LINE pin is driven above 7V?"

The answer was: "No, it does not behave the same way. The L6699 does not react in any way if LINE pin is driven above 7V; whereas the L6599 will react (it will shutdown the gate drive signals, LVG, HVG)."