cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm using the STC4054 Li-ion single cell charger in a design, the CHRG pin is supposed to have a weak pull-down when not charging but the current drawn is higher than specs

PVaca.1
Associate

In the STC4054 datasheet, it says the CHRG pin is supposed to have a weak pull-down of max 35uA when no battery is connected yet. However, with a 4.7Kohm pullup from that pin to 3.3v, I measure a 1.2v drop, which indicates about 250uA of current. With a 390 ohm pullup, the drop is about the same, which indicates almost 10x the current. Am I misunderstanding something on the datasheet? Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @Pablo Vacatello​, to the community!

The data sheet of the STC4054 can indeed be misunderstood. Perhaps the function of pin CHRG becomes clearer if one imagines two functions connected there internally:

• a MOSFET that switches through to GND when the charge is running (= low).
  • a switched current source with 8...35µA, typ 20µA, which is switched on at the end of a charging cycle.

If both are switched off (=High), this signals the Undervoltage Condition.

By the way, there is a more detailed description of the CHRG pin in AN2370, section 7.

Hope that helps?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PVaca.1
Associate

Hello Peter, thanks for your reply!

I do understand that the CHRG pin has both a weak pulldown and a strong ground depending on the state of the charger. From the AN: " A weak pull-down current of approximately 20 μA indicates that sufficient voltage is applied to VCC to begin charging. When a discharged battery is connected to the charger, the constant current portion of the charge cycle begins and the CHRG pin pulls to ground." What I'm experiencing is *before* I connect a battery, I expect a weak pulldown of 20uA, but the pulldown is much stronger than that.