cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how does the Linux installer work?

DLaru.1
Associate II

I downloaded en.TrueSTUDIO_V9.3_lin.gz and decompressed to en.TrueSTUDIO_V9.3_lin but it is not an executable and it is not a script. It looks like a corrupted file:

Atollic_TrueSTUDIO_for_STM32_9.3.0_installer/0000755000000000000000000000000013430475231017436 5ustar rootrootAtollic_TrueSTUDIO_

for_STM32_9.3.0_installer/install.sh0000755000000000000000000001660513430475231021453 0ustar rootroot#!/bin/bash

################################################################################

# Copyright (c) 2018 STMicroelectronics Software AB.

# All rights reserved. This program and the accompanying materials

# is the property of STMicroelectronics Software AB and must not be

# reproduced, disclosed to any third party, or used in any

# unauthorized manner without written consent.

################################################################################

(base) maker@Maker-MacBookAir:~/Downloads$ kate en.TrueSTUDIO_V9.3_lin

Hspell: can't open /usr/share/hspell/hebrew.wgz.sizes.

sonnet.plugins.hspell: HSpellDict::HSpellDict: Init failed

3 REPLIES 3
DLeo.2
Associate

Install command is used to copy files and set attributes. It is used to copy files to a destination of the user's choice, If the user want to download and install a ready to use package on GNU/Linux system then he should use apt-get, apt, yum, etc depending on their distribution.

Linux users don't normally download and install applications from the applications' websites, like Windows users do. Instead, each Linux distribution hosts their own software repositories. These repositories contain software packages specially compiled for each Linux distribution and version.

businssspost

Maybe I should have been more clear, How is the Atollic TRUEStudio installer supposed to work since it is not an executable and it is not a script and when it is changed to an executable via a change in permissions it errors out?

I'm quite familiar with Linux starting in the late 1990s.

bWildered1
Associate II

I downloaded Atollic TRUEStudio for Linux yesterday and tried to install, and encountered the same problem. Extracting the downloaded file did not produce anything that could be installed.

From a suggestion via an Internet search, I renamed the downloaded file to en.TrueSTUDIO_V9.3_lin.tar.gz from en.TrueSTUDIO_V9.3_lin.gz (note the .tar) and extracted. This gave me a proper installation folder with an install.sh executable script.

(Now I have another problem - the installer wants libwebkitgtk-3.0-0 which was retired from Ubuntu/Mint years ago. I am current;y searching for solutions to that, and might have to post a query.)