cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPC58EC-DISP board in reset mode, and not able to connect to JTAG.

RSeba.2
Associate III

Hi, I have been working with the board for quite some time and everything was functioning normally. Last day, upon powering the board, I noticed that the board has entered reset mode. Also, I have been unable to establish a JTAG connection.

Do you know the possible reasons behind this unexpected behavior, specifically the board entering reset mode? Are there some ways to restore boards functionality?

Attached please find a picture of the board in its current state.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

when it happened to me (SPC582B-DIS board), I solved it trying to connect/erase during the power on of the board.

I used a standalone StellarLink but you can probably use the embedded FTDI.

You need to cut the power from the USB and power one the board through the VIN/GND (5V).

In my case when I powered on the board I noticed that the reset led was kind of toggling. So you can use the scripts provided with the installation of the StellarLink (under the folder utility).

Launch the script (in the Windows prompt) while you power on the board through VIN/GND (5V).

After a couple of attempts I got my board all cleaned.

I hope this approach works for you all.

FP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Erwan YVIN
ST Employee

Hello ,

Could you check your device manager on Windows ?

it seems to be a reset escalation

For example, if watchdog resets microcontroller 15 times consecutively, reset escalation occurs and microcontroller is hold in permanent reset.

Best Regards

Erwan

I am also having the same problem. I checked my device manager and its working fine. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Ethan_C
Associate II

Hi Tanzil and Erwan,

I have encountered the same issue; the indicator light of ld4 is constantly on. This happened after measuring the voltage. May I ask if there is a solution to this problem?

Thank you.

Hi,

when it happened to me (SPC582B-DIS board), I solved it trying to connect/erase during the power on of the board.

I used a standalone StellarLink but you can probably use the embedded FTDI.

You need to cut the power from the USB and power one the board through the VIN/GND (5V).

In my case when I powered on the board I noticed that the reset led was kind of toggling. So you can use the scripts provided with the installation of the StellarLink (under the folder utility).

Launch the script (in the Windows prompt) while you power on the board through VIN/GND (5V).

After a couple of attempts I got my board all cleaned.

I hope this approach works for you all.

FP

Hi FP,

Thank you very much for your response. However, I have been using UDE STK for the programming operation before. In this case, can I still use the method you mentioned to execute a script for the clear operation?

Additionally, I am using the FTDI on the development board. If I don't connect it via USB, it seems that there won't be a connection pipeline with the PC.

Thanks.

device name on my device manager

1.PNG

connect fail on UDE STK

2.PNG

Ethan

Hi Ethan_C,

what is your board? Maybe it behaves differently from mine (my mcu is SPC582B).

The game here is having two independent supply: one for the FTDI (from the USB) and the other for the target mcu (external 5V - to use when you start the jatg connection or any erase script).

So you should connect the USB basically only to let the PC talk with the target.

There should be 0 ohm resistorts to modify both supply and control signals all over the board.

You can try disconnect the 5V_USB from the target supply.

Done that and plugged the cable, you should check that the device is showing in Windows (I don't know if in your previous image if you have 2 boards attached or there are 2 devices loaded).

The StellarLink is basically an FTDI chip which is operated through the OpenOCD scripts and configuration files.

OpenCD is not installed by default in SPC5Studio IDE, but this can be achieved going on Help/Install new software: repository = https://download.eclipse.org/embed-cdt/updates/neon

package: Embedded C/C++ OpenOCD Debugging (incubation)

After the installation you shoud have these pdfs inside the SPC5Studio folder.

FPros1_0-1709020132829.png 

I think but not remember exactly that you should already have the StellarLink folder inside C:, as it is installed with the SPC5Studio (if you use it).

Sorry for the any confusion. I hope it is getting clearer.

I don't know if you can perform all the steps as I did.

Sure an external programmer (StellarLink in my case) simplifies the approach but I think that with some hardware tricks you can achieve the same.

Erwan YVIN
ST Employee

Hello Ethan ,

Openocd has been recompiled for SPC58

You can install it by update site :

Help ==> Install New Software https://spc5tools.spc5studio.com/

Best regards

Erwan

Ethan_C
Associate II

Hi FP,

My development board is SPC58EC-DISP, and I encountered a situation similar to Rseba.2 I later successfully installed Openpcd, but I still cannot Flash/Erase the device. Additionally, my development board itself has an independent power supply, so it seems a bit different from your situation. Currently, I am still unable to burn and update the firmware.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Ethan

FPros.1
Associate III

Hi Ethan,

I had the same openocd fail log (mine had no libusb errors..)

The JTAG seems to respond fine to the driver initially but those libusb errors are a bit suspicious.

Anyway, can you see the JTAG device on Windows without powering the board up (through the independent power supply)?

If yes, I'd try connecting and simultaneously powering the mcu up with the script.

Also, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, my reset led used to do a brief toggle at power up and that could be a rescue opportunity.

Regards,

FP