cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which the difference btw FSM and embedded feature for tap event detection in LSM6DSO?

f87
Associate II

Hi, I’m using the embedded tap feature in LSM6DSO. While reading the datasheet, I noticed that it’s possible to implement a finite state machine for the tap activity recognition. Which the advantages, if any?

1 REPLY 1
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi Fingolfin, the FSM approach is quite a different implementation compared to the embedded (single/double) tap.

The main difference is that the embedded function uses the slope between two consecutive acceleration samples to detect tap events, while the FSM implementation uses the accelerometer raw data directly (without applying any kind of filtering). Moreover, the two implementation might also differs in terms of thresholds, ODRs, timing, etc…

There are at least a couple of advantages using FSM: in this way, you operates directly on the raw data (e.g. no needs to implement internal filters). Moreover, you can implement up to 16 FSM for tap recognition (different threshold, etc). Also note that the minimum recommended axl ODR for the is 417Hz, while the FSM can work also at lower ODRs (e.g. 26Hz), saving lot of power consumption.

Let me know if you need any examples.