cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensortile decoupling capacitors

AMell.1
Associate III

The sensortile has some decoupling capacitors which need to be connected to the VDDs on the MCU but there are two values for the capacitors 1uf and 100nf, is there a map to which pins assign to which capacitors? i have found nought on both datasheet and sensortile documents thanks, just trying to make sure before i finalise my custom board.

4 REPLIES 4
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @AMell.1​ , are you referring to the STEVAL-STLKT01V1 kit? If so, you can refer to the Resource section to find the related schematic. Regards

AMell.1
Associate III

thank you for your reply, I have these schematics, I refer to the decoupling capacitors on the MCU, I have in the past worked with TI mcus where they label the capacitors to the VDD inputs for the decoupling capacitors as is necessitated, is this not the case and they can be placed in any order connected to the MCU? thanks0693W000000VlqGQAS.png

Hi @AMell.1​ , as a general rule the decoupling capacitors have to be mounted as near as possible the dedicated pins (typically the Vdd ones). If the MCU has multiple Vdd pins, and these pins are not contiguous, both 1uF and 100nF capacitors have to be mounted near each pin, also in the case of Vdd metal layer in the board. This because it's important to minimize any possible spikes and electrical disturbances along the Vdd path between the capacitor and the MCU pin. It's also a typical layout solution to have a ground plane; this way capacitors are near to GND too. Regards

AMell.1
Associate III

ok thank you, i was aware of all this my question was that the two different valued capacitors 1uf and 100nf do not have corresponding VCC inputs on the MCU they can essentially be assigned to any in a normal decoupling manner, ok thanks.