cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSM6DSO Pedometer - Increased Step Count

KDeli.2
Associate II

Hello,

I am using the LSM6DSOWTR sensor in a wearable device for step counting.
As it's known, the LSM6DSO series features an advanced pedometer, step detector, and step counter.

I'm observing many steps counted even when the user is not moving (false positives), and I'm comparing the counted steps with other market wearables (twice as other devices).

• The False-Positive Rejection feature is enabled for better results (PEDO_CMD_REG).
  • The Pedometer Debounce Threshold is set to 50 to avoid false step detections (PEDO_DEB_STEPS_CONF).

Despite the high value of the debounce threshold, I have noticed that in resting situations where the user is stationary (e.g., during office work or sleeping), the IMU counts quite a few false positive steps.

I have thoroughly read the LSM6DSO datasheet and the AN5192 document.
In section 6.1 of AN5192, Pedometer Functions: Step Detector and Step Counter, it mentions the operation of the pedometer functions, but I would like to clarify the following details:

1. How can I increase the sensitivity of the Pedometer?
  2. What is the exact use of registers PEDO_SC_DELTAT_L/H (D0h/D1h)?
  3. Do registers PEDO_SC_DELTAT_L/H (D0h/D1h) affect only the Step Detection Interrupt or also the Step Counter?
  4. How is the STEP_COUNT_DELTA_IA affected?

I have taken into consideration the ticket. LSM6DSO pedometer setting

- Konstantinos 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @KDeli.2 ,

Most of your questions are answered in the AN5192, please take a look

1. Do you have LSM6DSO or LSM6DSOX? If LSM6DSOX, you could use the MLC
  2. It allows you to configure the time after which to give interrupts if there have been new steps
  3. Only step detection interrupt

If this solves your problem, please mark my answer as "Best Answer" by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" button, this can be helpful for Community users to find this solution faster.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Federica Bossi
ST Employee

Hi @KDeli.2 ,

Most of your questions are answered in the AN5192, please take a look

1. Do you have LSM6DSO or LSM6DSOX? If LSM6DSOX, you could use the MLC
  2. It allows you to configure the time after which to give interrupts if there have been new steps
  3. Only step detection interrupt

If this solves your problem, please mark my answer as "Best Answer" by clicking on the "Accept as Solution" button, this can be helpful for Community users to find this solution faster.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.