cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I diferentiate and detect continous motion of an object from vibrations/instant shocks on an object from by using LIS2DH12 sensor?

OTura.1
Associate

I'm trying to detect which product is being carried by crane by using LIS2DH12 for motion detection of steel coil products.  Because of the environmental vibrations or instant shocks created while handling the material in the stockyard I cannot differentiate the interrupts created. As the crane slowly handles the product, I cannot set high threshold and interrupt duration. But this makes the other sensors on the other products interrupt as well. Is there any way to understand continous movement of the object with this sensor? Or any other suggestion?

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3
niccolò
ST Employee

Hi @OTura.1​ ,

I think that this type of analysis can be done using the data, instead of interrupts.

if you read the fifo periodically, you could check if the data resembles a shock or a continuous motion.

do you think this could be a good direction?

Niccolò

OTura.1
Associate

Hi Niccolo, thats a good starting point, but I don't know how a continous motion looks like. But I think that if there is a motion but velocity is like steady then there is no acceleration. Can you suggest any way to understand this from the x,y,z readings?

Thanks

Hi @OTura.1​ ,

you are right, with constant motion the acceleration is 0

I can't give you exact indication on how to proceed, but I would suggest to save some datalog of the start and stop of the crane motion and datalogs of the shocks.

maybe there are enough differences so you can come up with an algorithm able to discern between these conditions.

it is difficult to give you any advice without seeing the data, but if you post it here I can try to help.

Niccolò