cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configuring Compasses , Accelerometer , gyroscope

Chopra.1
Associate II

I am a nobe to these Mems sensor , i understood how to write the drivers of these sensors , setes its register to get raw values but i am unable to understand how to configure the internal settings of these sensors.

like In Compass sensor we have to configure the Output Data Rate , Over Sample

Ratio , Full Scale and in some we can also configure the inbuilt low pass / high pass filters

In data sheets it is mentioned that we have to configure these setting based on the application requirements , but on what bases i determine what's suits my application the best

Similarly in accel and gyro sensors we can configure the low pass, high pass ,data rate etc. for the sensors but what what is the bases on which i configure them as no matter what value of low pass and high pass i set i get raw data

Can anyone suggest some application / book/ recourse regarding this

.@MEMS and Sensors Webinars

1 REPLY 1
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Chopra.1​ ,

>> In data sheets it is mentioned that we have to configure these setting based on the application requirements , but on what bases i determine what's suits my application the best

This is a general suggestion, and actually depends upon your target application. If you want to measure the tilt of an object, I would suggest you to use an Inclinometer (such as the IIS2ICLX). If you want to measure the vibration of an object, especially if you are interested in high frequency vibrations, I would suggest the vibrometer, such as IIS3DWB. If you want to perform more complex pattern recognition, then you should consider 6-axis modules such as the LSM6DSOX, which has an embedded Machine Learning Core (MLC) and a Finite State Machine (FSM). If your application is intended to be low power (IoT or battery operated), a simple ultra-low power accelerometer such as the LIS2DW12 can be enough.

I suggest you to download the smartphone application ST Sensor finder, which offers a user-friendly alternative to searching through the MEMS and sensors online product portfolio, driving the user along a smooth and simple navigation experience. In addition to standard product finder functions, the user can also quickly identify corresponding evaluation tools and explore typical applications with sensors in a few seconds.

If my reply answered your question, please click on Select as Best at the bottom of this post. This will help other users with the same issue to find the answer faster.

-Eleon