cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to differentiate between the STUSB4500 and STUSB4500L via I2C?

Mmade.11
Associate II

The STUSB4500 and STUSB4500L are similar in nature, however the NVM config for the STUSB4500 is not compatible with the STUSB4500L. Is there a way to identify the part number via the I2C bus? The Device ID Register returns 0x9C for both the STUSB4500 and the STUSB4500L.

2 REPLIES 2
MIMBE
Associate III

Hello Mmade.1,

I finally got the answer from the apps dev dept.:

" No, that makes sense what he is seeing…the STUSB4500L is locked and not programmable…it supports the USB-C power profile only, up to 5V at 3A = 15W. If the customer needs to support higher power, then they need to use the STUSB4500. The parts are die-identical, but we de-featured the STUSB4500L for sub-15W applications only, and give it a lower cost. I guess that explains why it removed the NVM section once it recognized the chip as the L version."

And actually, on my computer, STSW-STUSB002 V1.11 showed the "Sink parameters" (exactly as the screen shot you sent me) until it recognized the L version: then this page disappeared, as L version is 5V/3A capable only.

Not very useful, IMO. Unless you're designing a USB-C to USB-A adapter...

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Matt

Winfred LU
ST Employee

> however the NVM config for the STUSB4500 is not compatible with the STUSB4500L.

I don't quite understand the point.

In most cases, there is no need to program STUSB4500L, so that I2C is not needed.

> Is there a way to identify the part number via the I2C bus

Try to read register at offset 0x70, if the value is equal to 0, it means the device is STUSB4500L.