cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding enabling/disabling Crosstalk Compensation

AGome.7
Associate II

Hello.

I am seeking to perform a series of tests to demonstrate the effect of enabling/disabling the cross-talk compensation on the VL6180x ToF sensor. For some context, I'll be setting targets of different reflectance across different distances and taking measurements for insight on our application of the sensors.

The datasheet suggests that enabling cross-talk compensation is simply performing the cross-talk calibration procedure to find the compensation factor, then writing that value to the SYSRANGE__CROSSTALK_COMPENSATION_RATE register (in 9.7 format).

However, if I decide to 'disable' the compensation, is it as simple as writing to the SYSRANGE__CROSSTALK_COMPENSATION_RATE register 0? Does it require the sensor to reset? It's implied that after a power cycle the sensor loses its internal compensation value, but I can't find anything related in the datasheet. Any guidance would be appreciated

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

is it as simple as writing to the SYSRANGE__CROSSTALK_COMPENSATION_RATE register 0?

• yes that would do it.

Does it require the sensor to reset?

• No, a stop/start would do it.

Please consider the case of no crosstalk, the right amout, and too much.

Using a dull target will make the effect worse. A nice brigt 88% target (copy paper) will hide the issue.

Consider the no target case as well. With small crosstalk you might get a ghost target, but there is a parameter to prevent that - you might have to adjust that 'minimum target' as well.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'