cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measure with the sensor volatils anestetik level in a Container

kdass.1
Associate

I wanted to insert a ToF sensor (VL53L4CD) in an anesthetic container, I tried to measure with the sensor water level and that works well and can be measured with it, but I tried to measure with the sensor volatils anestethiks (isoflurane) and unfortunately the sensor can not measure, it always gives the value to the base of the container. i want to know why.

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Water and other clear liqids are mostly transparent. If exactly perpendicular enough photons might hit the surface of the liquid and bounce back. Even the best glass is only 94% transmissive, so you always have a change.

But one has to be careful. If the bottom of the container is not particularly reflective, it works. But on cannot measure water in a stainless steel container. Just too many photons hit the bottom and reflect.

So either your liquid is particularly transmissive to 940nm light, or the bottom of your container is particularly reflective.

If you container is clear - try putting a piece of black paper under it. It might help.

Otherwise you are going to have to look at the chemical properties of your liquid.

(Water vapor absorbs 940nm light, It's why we chose that frequency. There is less 940nm light at the surface of the earth, as a lot of that frequency got absorbed by the upper atmosphere.)

Most common liquids are largely water. It's why milk and coffee are no problem, but your's might be different.

• john

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'