cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interrupt reset on e.g VL6180X

PThom.3
Associate

I want to use the TOF unit to detect when a physical object is passing. The Threshold detection shall rise an interrupt signal which I use to initiate a function. As I understand the mentioned VL6180X, the interrupt must be cleared each time via an I2C command. In my application I want the interrupt to reset itself when the object has passed and the value is within the threshold limit. As an object is passing each second, I do not have time to reset the interrupt by the I2C bus. Is there another TOF where this can be done, or does anybody have a solution for this? Thanks in advance /Poul

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

1) unless you use the Ambient Light Sensor of the VL6180X, consider the VL6180V1 - it's cheaper, and is the exact same silicon.

2) When you use an interrupt every time the sensor triggers you will need to clear the interrupt and start again. If you didn't you would not get the next interrupt.

Don't worry about the time it takes to clear an interrupt. It's only 1 payload character. With overhead - only 3 bytes. Even the slowest I2C bus can handle that.

• john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
PThom.3
Associate

Hi John.

Thanks for your info. I will give it a try, but probaply I need to have a separate cpu to do this one task, as the 'maiin application cpu' also is handling Modbus and analog conversions. I did hope for a less expensive and simpler solution though.

regards

Poul