cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with insight on VL53L4CD drift

AGreen
Associate II

0693W00000WI44BQAT.pngI'm using the VL53LX API 1.2.8 to interface with the VL53L4CD in firmware and I implemented a tuner page in my android app to visualize it.

So far I have this thing ranging pretty well with +/- 1mm accuracy. Not bad!

I'm measuring a permanent grey 3D printed PLA object with a 10x5mm flat face that can move 10-45mm in front of the sensor.

My only issue is that when I start/stop ranging, it starts off on the correct distance (object not moving) and then after ~1min it starts drifting up +2-3mm. However, it tends to cap out there. So, if I'm reading 45 it will climb up to ~48 and settle. If I start/stop again it will repeat.

Is this due to temperature drift or something else? Is there anything to lessen this? I would think that if it was temperature then start/stopping would not cause it to jump back to reading 45mm right off the bat but instead leave off at the last drift value.

Project details:

Electrical:

-I2C at 100kHz

-VCC 2.8V

Typical Operation:

-Follows the UM2923 - VL53L4CX API ranging flow (field)

-Host polling, checking for Data Ready (~10ms intervals)

Boot up:

-Toggle XSHUT with delays between

-Wait Device Boot

-DataInit

-Set power level to 30 from 60

-Set Phase Cal Patch set to 2

-Set Offset Mode to PERVCSEL

-Set ROI to 4x4 TopLeftX:6, TopLeftY:9, BottomRightX:9, BottomRrightY:6

-Set Calibration Data

-Set distance mode to Medium (all though this is default)

Calibration:

-Ref SPAD

-XTALK (not really required since no glass but seem to help)

-VL53LX_PerformOffsetPerVcselCalibration(45mm)

-Store Cal data

Thanks,

Andrew

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Andrew -

The VCSEL does generate heat - and it's effency is affected by that heat. As the temperature rises,there is a VHV (Very High Voltage) calibration that goes on. It will adjust. But it does not have a very fine resolution. So if you warmed the sensor you might see a drift of a few mm, then a snap back as the temp compensation kicks in, then slow drift leaving you with a sort of saw-tooth pattern.

I suppose if you wanted to get the best accuracy, you might find some way to hold the chip at a known temperature.

In fact, if you had a handy way to do this is might be an interesting experiment.

Nicely done on your app. Looks pretty cool.

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.

Thanks, I've been working on this thing for a year now.

Unfortunately, I have no control over the sensor temperature in this project.

Is the VHV doing the same thing as the VL53L4CD_StartTemperatureUpdate() function in the low power driver or how do those differ if not?

Also what triggers the VHV to start a calibration and what's the threshold?