cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello ST, I'm trying to read the distance with vl6180x, but this measures 5mm from a phisical distance of 170mm less than this value I get error 12, and for distances greater than 300 millimeters approximately I get error 7, 6, 11. How can I calibrate it?

UDi T.1
Associate

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Minus 12 means the device really thought you had a value less then 0. I'm guessing you need to redo the offset calibration. By adjusting the offset, this will go away.

The 6 is an Early convergence estimate ECE check - This means that so few photons returned that the sensor quit after 0.5ms to save power. Read this as 'No target within range.

The 7 is a Max convergence System did not converge before the specified max. convergence time limit.. Not enough photons were returned to get a range in the time you allowed. Again treat as 'No target within range'.

The 11 is also sort of expected. It's 11 Signal to Noise, Ratio Ambient conditions too high. Measurement not valid. Basically there was too much Sunlight and the sensor could not get a range. (Could be very bright halogen lights, but sunlight is more common.) Again treat as no target.

All this means the sensor is doing what you want. It's giving you a target when it can and telling why when it cannot.

Read the section of the data sheet on Calibration - It will show you how.

• john

If this or any post solves your issue, please mark them as 'Accept as Solution' It really helps. And if you notice anything wrong do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'. Someone will review it.