Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About VL53L4CX -Getting the best single-target data

Wwei
Associate

Hi,

I have two questions to ask.

1、How do I adjust "VL53LX_MAX_RANGE_RESULTS"and "VL53LX_MAX_USER_ZONES"

if I want to get a best single target of data?

Would it be better to change them all to 1? It's not in the manual.

2、VL53L1CB has a single-target get function "SetSimpleData" that I can't find in the L4CX API. Are there any other functions that can help determine this?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The user API that is documented is the file vl53lx_api.c. The files in the vl53lx_api_core.c file were really not meant to be called by the user. 

Neither of those parameters are going to help you get the best single target. 

MAX_RANGE_RESULTS

if you ask for 2 targets you will get a distance to an object and the distance to the wall behind the target. 

if you ask for only 1 target, you can get either the strongest signal or the closest. It depends on what you want.

MAX_USER_ZONES

Each range you get the opportunity to change the region of interest. By taking a sub-sample of the full SPAD photon detection array, you and perhaps find more information. But this only makes sense if you use the VL53L1CD as it has a lens over the receive side of the sensor. That code is a remnant of the prior sensor. 

The VL53LX is a VL53L1CB with the lens removed. Turns out that lens is pretty costly. 

Our community relies on fruitful exchanges and good quality content. You can thank and reward helpful and positive contributions by marking them as 'Accept as Solution'. When marking a solution, make sure it answers your original question or issue that you raised.

ST Employees that act as moderators have the right to accept the solution, judging by their expertise. This helps other community members identify useful discussions and refrain from raising the same question. If you notice any false behavior or abuse of the action, do not hesitate to 'Report Inappropriate Content'