cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32CubeIDE, blank page when "Start new STM32 project", after initialising target selector. Ubuntu 19.04

APate.17
Associate II

Title says it all. I cannot create a new project - the model dialog for 'select STM32 target' is blank.

Freshly installed the from .deb_bundle.sh installer without errors.

Running Ubuntu 19.04 with vanilla gnome-session installed.

15 REPLIES 15
Markus GIRDLAND
ST Employee

Just did a fresh install on my Ubuntu test computer and I don't experience the same thing.

Is it blank in that you don't see any MCU/boards selected or does the MCUFinder not show anything at all? Could you take a screenshot and also paste the workspace log located at $workspace/.metadata/log ?

APate.17
Associate II

Under windows, there was a lengthy (relatively) download of some files before the 'select stm32 target' appeared and I could easily set up a blank project for my 746GDiscovery, which worked straight away right down to debug stepping.

This download appears to be attempted occasionally under ubuntu19.04, but often is so brief i couldnt take a screenshot. See:0690X000008BYULQA4.jpg

Note, the eclipse internal internet browser does have access to the internet.

This is what is displayed, where there should be a bunch of project config stuff. Sorry for the rotated photos, they were right way up on my PC.0690X000008BYUVQA4.jpg

I will reboot into ubuntu and grab the log file you asked for.

APate.17
Associate II

@Markus GIRDLAND​ I assume this is the log you wanted. ~/STM32CubeIDE/workspace_1.0.0/.metadata/.log

The others did not appear to have anything interesting in them, just redirects to this log file.

I captured the log file right after relaunching the IDE and selecting start new stm32 project.

I believe you might have to resize/move/hover over the MCUFinder window to make it draw. I've seen some (not as serious as this) similar window issues and then a resize of the window has helped for me. We're working on improving the integration of CubeMX and MCUFinder even further.

I will try again, but this was the first thing I tried, as I noticed it was quite large for a modal dialog. I wasn't able to push it draw anything.

APate.17
Associate II

I could not get it to draw anything.

But..

I deleted my workspace and relaunched. This time it downloaded some files and presented the gui. i think somehow if it fails this download process it is getting into a state where it doesnt try again.

UAlli
Associate

Hello all, I'm using Fedora 29, and the STM32 Target Selector windows is blank if I use the Gnome on Wayland session, but it draws correctly if I use Gnome on XOrg or Gnome Classic session. The same happens with the newly released Fedora 30.

I hope someone can guess why it is not possible to use Wayland session.

UAlli
Associate

I just discovered that the Target Selector works correctly forcing x11 in a Wayland session: just start the ide prepending the GDK_BACKEND=x11 directive.

Hope this helps someone !

Helped me! Thanks.

Here is some detail for those new to Linux:

$ GDK_BACKEND=x11

$ export GDK_BACKEND

$ /opt/st/stm32cubeide_1.0.1/stm32cubeide # this is the default location I got on Fedora 30. Would have been nice if the install docs told name and location.