Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F769I-DISCO noise

benny
Associate II
Posted on June 19, 2016 at 01:46

Hi,

I want to ask if someone can confirm that the STM32F769I-DISCO has a high-pitched

https://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/buzzing.html

https://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/sound.html

. I think it's from the display unit. So this is normal or should i complain my board?

Kind regards

Nyix

#worst-forum-ever

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
23 REPLIES 23
Posted on June 19, 2016 at 09:22

Mine aren't making any discernable noise.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
benny
Associate II
Posted on June 24, 2016 at 20:01

I tested a brand new board from another vendor. The display is making the same noise. So I think it's an issue with the display unit and I'm not sure if I get a replacement which is working.

I do some more tests with older persons. They couldn't hear this noise, because the frequency is very high.

For now I couldn't recommend the board. I hope ST is changing the display unit for free or they could fix it with another driver. :(
Posted on June 24, 2016 at 22:38

I'm on the older side, I can hear some of my other boards whistle.

In this case I would suspect it to be the back-light driver.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Lead
Posted on June 26, 2016 at 18:40

> So I think it's an issue with the display unit and I'm not sure if I get a replacement which is working.

Normally not.

First suspects are usually magnetic components, i.e. coils, which are operated near their resonance frequency (or one of their resonance frequencies). A ''strong word'' for those effects would be ''cheap design'' ...

> I do some more tests with older persons. They couldn't hear this noise, because the frequency is very high.

I'm on the older side, too, and I can hear better than most of my much younger workmates - including in the 10..15kHz range.

This is, as a matter of fact, no issue of age, but of continued damaging overload (discotheque, etc.).

I personally knew people in the late 80's, hearing and seeing as good as teenagers.

Lead
Posted on June 26, 2016 at 18:41

freakin' forum software !!!

JB2500
Associate III

Posted on February 11, 2017 at 16:39

> I want to ask if someone can confirm that the STM32F769I-DISCO has a high-pitched buzzing sound.

Mine emits a clear tone (or whistle) at 8057 Hz. It's so loud that I've been using ear plugs to protect my hearing.

I've tested three boards and all do the same.

The tone appears to be emanating from the back of the removable display unit - probably either from the inductor or maybe from a nearby capacitor acting as a piezoelectric device.

The offending component(s) may well be part of a backlight PSU as suggested above; that was my thought too.

It's difficult for me to diagnose further as I don't have a means of extending the display connections to enable access whilst the device is powered up. I do know that the tone ceases if the device is powered up with the display unit disconnected.

The 8 kHz (approx) is more than just an audible tone emitted by the device. If the DAC output of the device is connected to my desktop computer, and the board ST-Link USB is connected to the same computer, then the 8 kHz tone appears at -39 dB wrt a 0 dB 440 Hz sine wave output from the same DAC.

That's a S/N ratio of just over 6 bits, which is of course extremely poor for a 24 bit DAC.

If the USB link is disconnected and the device is powered from batteries instead, the 8 kHz tone drops to -90 dB.

JB.

Posted on February 11, 2017 at 20:54

Some more information regarding this problem:

Document http://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00321394.pdf confirms that the culprit is indeed the display backlight PSU. It supplies 25.6V.

Here's a photograph of the circuit:

0690X00000603cWQAQ.jpgHere's some information on the STLD40D (L4D in image) PSU chip:

The maximum on time is 4 us so the switching frequency is clearly not the direct cause of the 8 kHz whistle. However, the brightness is controlled by applying a PWM signal to the enable (EN) pin of the above chip. This is doubtless the cause of the problem.

Page 9 of document http://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/dm00321394.pdf shows the display backlight circuitry.

It shows the EN pin as either being connected to BL_CTRL via R4, or being connected to CABC, which is an output (I think) of the LCD display module, via R1 and CN2. It also shows EN as being connected to 3.3V via R5 (4K7).

On my display board, shown above, R1 is present and R4 and R5 are missing. The EN signal for the PSU chip therefore comes from the LCD module. Had R4 been fitted instead of R1, EN would have been connected to pin 53 of the DSI LCD connector, which is the LCD_BL_CTRL (LCD backlight control) signal on the main board, which in turn connects to port PI14 of the MCU (pin 81). In this case, the 8 kHz problem could have been solved by reprogramming the PI14 output.

When the demonstration software starts, with R1 present, the EN signal is a PWM signal of just over 8 kHz as expected. Initially it has a 50% duty cycle. If the screen brightness is increased to 100% using TouchGFX => External hardware => Screen brightness (swipe left), the EN signal changes to a duty cycle of 100%. (Incidentally, setting screen brightness to 0% results in a 20% duty cycle). With screen brightness set to 100%, and hence with a 100% duty cycle, the 8 kHz noise initially fades and then ceases.

Candidate solutions:

1. Move the zero ohm resistor from position R1 to R5, thereby connecting EN to 3.3V. This would result in maximum brightness and no 8 kHz audible noise.
  2. Find out the method that TouchGFX uses to control the brightness via the LCD module, and use it to set the brightness to 100%.
  3. Move the zero ohm resistor from position R1 to R4, fit a 4K7 (or preferably larger to reduce power consumption when the backlight is off) in position R5, and control the brightness using PI14. (R5 is so that the screen lights even when the MCU pin is not set as an output).
  4. Reprogram the LCD unit to output a much higher frequency CABC. However, it may be that the output frequency is hardwired, in which case there's no solution to be found there. So far I've not found any relevant information.
  5. Find a replacement for L2 etc that does not emit sound.

I've done option (1). It cures the whistle, avoids software compatibility problems, and solves the problem of the brightness control PWM (of whatever frequency) appearing on the DAC output.

Option (2) may achieve the same as (1) more conveniently (provided it can also set the brightness to 0%). However, I've not found any information on the method involved.

I hope this helps.

JB.

Posted on February 15, 2017 at 21:51

Hi JB,

I will test your solution, but it will take some time, because I have  a lot to do at work. Thank you for your detailed research. I will reply if I tested it.

Edit: Short question before I move on. What happen if:

1) We place a 4k7 Ohm resistor to R5 as shown in the schematic? (R1 still fitted with 0 Ohm)

2) We ONLY place a 4k7 Ohm resistor to R5 and remove R1? 

Kind regards

Nyix

Posted on February 16, 2017 at 02:52

Hi Nyix!

What happen if:

1) We place a 4k7 Ohm resistor to R5 as shown in the schematic? (R1 still fitted with 0 Ohm)

2) We ONLY place a 4k7 Ohm resistor to R5 and remove R1?

Option 1: Nothing useful. It would simply be a resistor from an output to the 3.3V supply.

Option 2: The display will be always at full brightness. That's essentially what I did. I reused R1 because I didn't have any other surface mount resistors around of the right (physical) size.

Incidentally, I'm very happy with the display always at full brightness: it's not particularly bright. And it's very much better than having the device screaming all the time. The main reason to go for a more complex solution would I think be to make it possible to switch the backlight off completely e.g. to reduce power consumption or to make the device compatible with a bedroom etc.

Cheers,

JB.