cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing the rootfs size on a stm32mp157f-dk2

stefan_r
Associate II

Hi,

i´m using a stm32mp157-dk2 and want to increase the size of the rootfs partition to 2GB.

To create the image follwed the instructions from https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/index.php/STM32MP1_Distribution_Package#Installing_the_OpenSTLinux_distribution .

Before running the bitbake command changed as suggested in https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000EaFPwSAN/rootfs-size-increasing-on-avenger96

1) /meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp/conf/machine/include/st-nachine-common-stm32mp.inc

IMAGE_ROOTFS_MAXSIZE ?= "2097152"
ROOTFS_PARTITION_SIZE ?= "2097152"

2) /meta-st/meta-st-stm32mp/recipes-devtools/sdcard-raw-tools/sdcard-raw-tools/create_sdcard_from_flashlayout.sh

DEFAULT_RAW_SIZE=4096
DEFAULT_ROOTFS_PARTITION_SIZE=2097152

Then while running the bitbake command an error showed up "The initramfs size 181612 (K) exceeds INITRAMFS_MAXSIZE: 131072 (K) You can set INITRAMFS_MAXSIZE a larger value.... ". To avoid this error i increased INITRAMFS_MAXSIZE to 262144 in layers/openembedded-core/meta/conf/bitbake.conf

After restarting the process with bitbake the following errors showed up:

0693W00000AML1YQAX.png 

Please let me know, if i missed some steps to increase the rootfs size or did something fundamentally wrong.

Thanks,

stefan_r

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @stefan_r​ ,

Your ROOTFS looks still bigger than what you set as max size : 2017660 vs 2097152.

Try to update st-machine-common-stm32mp.inc with :

IMAGE_ROOTFS_MAXSIZE ?= "2017660" or bigger

in this case create_sdcard_from_flashlayout.sh is not called/concerned.

Hope it help

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @stefan_r​ ,

Your ROOTFS looks still bigger than what you set as max size : 2017660 vs 2097152.

Try to update st-machine-common-stm32mp.inc with :

IMAGE_ROOTFS_MAXSIZE ?= "2017660" or bigger

in this case create_sdcard_from_flashlayout.sh is not called/concerned.

Hope it help

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
stefan_r
Associate II

Hi Olivier,

i increased the IMAGE_ROOTFS_MAXSIZE to a value bigger than "2017660" and bitbaked my image with this change.

I tried to do this previously, but that time i also added multiple EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES in the local.conf which i seems to have caused the Warning with package uboot (can be seen on the picture above). I think that the reason for this warning also caused, that i couldn´t flash the image successful. After a new try to build openstlinux with a fresh repo, where i only added some packages in the local.conf an increased the rootfs it builds and the image can be flashed successful.

Thanks for your help!

stefan_r