cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a recommended chip antenna for the STM32WB55?

AClif
Associate III

I am putting the STM32WB55 into a space sensitive application so i would like things as small as possible. The application note (AN5129) is very good for a PCB antenna, but I would like a chip antenna to be as small as possible (cost is less of an issue).

Are there any recommended chip antennas (or even better, reference designs using them) for the STM32WB?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

You can refer to AN5434 in which a very small chip antenna is described.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

You can refer to AN5434 in which a very small chip antenna is described.

I just downloaded that application note, which evaluates several pcb antennas. But there seems to an error in referencing the reference chip antenna.

In AN5434 Rev 1 January 2020, Section 3.8 states:

3.8 Chip antenna

A TDK chip antenna for the 2400-2484 MHz frequency band [7] is selected as the reference antenna. It is not possible to simulate it because its electromagnetic model is not known. The layout recommended by TDK is used. The matching to 50 Ω will be carried out based on measurements with the board and antenna connected. The gain patterns are characterized once the impedance matching is performed.

But when I look at the references, [7] is the reference for Yagi antennas:

[7] H. Yagi, «Beam transmission of ultra-short waves,» Proc. IRE, vol. 16, pp. 715-741, 1928.

Can you say any more on that chip antenna?

AClif
Associate III

Section 6.4 gives a bit more detail, including the part number, TDK ANT016008LCS2442MA2. The product page is here: https://product.tdk.com/en/search/rf/rf/antenna/info?part_no=ANT016008LCS2442MA2

AClif
Associate III

And thanks again, Remi, for your help!

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

Indeed!

[8]TDK, ANT016008LCS2442MA2 multilayer antenna, Sep. 2016, https://product.tdk.com/info/en/documents/data_sheet/rf_ant_ant016008lcs2442ma2_summary_en.pdf

The application will be updated accordingly.