cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F4 multirole USB device

Posted on November 17, 2015 at 16:11

Hello there,

I am using STM32F407 with HAL library. I am trying to have following functionality on USB:

- FAT system on a connected SD card through SDIO,

- Bootloader.

Ive been told to look at DFU. The problem is I am not sure how to look at this when interfacing STM32F4. In MxCube I could select DFU, Mass storage and etc when USB is only in device mode. But I thought- Dont I need dual functionality USB device? Like FAT system + virtual com port, for example to send a command to the MCU to jump into bootloader mode (which would have DFU functionality maybe)? The problem is CubeMx doesnt support dual USB mode configuration, is it hard to set it manually?

I would apreciate help in this case, maybe someone has a better idea of how to do this? Basically In this MCU I need 2 features to be possible through USB:

Mass storage device in connected SD card and reprogram option.
10 REPLIES 10
Posted on November 23, 2015 at 19:42

When it comes to encryption its not a problem at all in this application.

About the hat well, I just wanted to make sure everything is doable :P. HAL and STDLib gives you some functionalities at a certain level, the question is is it all implemented or do I have to dig deeper? 

The thing is if the default bootloader is able to do something, I would definetly want to use it in order not to write my own. But it seems that I might have to.

Thank you for the answers.